Stocking Suggestions? 29 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
While its cycling....
My tank: 29 Gals/ 78 F/ 7.8 ph/ Top Fin 30 HOB Filter

Got 6 zebra danios (short fin) in there right now as i am fish in cycling. I plan on adding 4 to 10 more after cycling is complete. I would like to add 2 other addtional schooling fish, preferably with mid or top as well as bottom dwelling fish. Also a center piece fish would be nice. I would really like to get tiger barbs, but i know they are can be a bit aggressive. What would you guys get?

Also I am strongly considering upgrading my current powerfilter to a Aquaclear 30 or 50, but which would you suggest? would the Aquaclear 50 be too much filter? Is ther such a thing? :)

Thanks for your time

It depends how many more zebra danios you add, if you add 10 your not gonna have much room for another school.

As of now you could add a school of tetras or cherry barbs. As for a centerpiece you could do some sort of gourami

No, it wouldn't be too much filter at all, and in fact, I would get atleast the AC 70.

A gourami should work fine with the danios, but I would skip it if you want to go with the barbs. Personally, I don't care for tiger barbs, and I think they would do better in a larger tank.

With a large school of danios up top, I would stick with a small lower level schooler, such as neons. You could then add a shoal of 6 cories, a centerpeice fish or two, and a/some algae eaters.

yes i was thinking of a gourami, pretty attractive fish. If i did get two, should i get two males, two females, male and female? or does it not matter much?

The gouramis depends on what your other stock is. I recommend only a male or female, or singly. Trios sometimes work-it did for me-but most of the time they end up killing off the third wheel.

yes i was thinking of a gourami, pretty attractive fish. If i did get two, should i get two males, two females, male and female? or does it not matter much?
That depends on the species. It does matter, but it depends on the species you pick. There are dwarf gouramis, pearl gouramis, and honey gouramis that would all work in your tank. You could also try a sinlgle opaline gourami. Just a note, sometimes danios annoy gouramis. I would get either dwarfs or honeys to go with the danios if that is the direction you want.
I agree that tiger barbs shouldn't be kept with gouramis. I don't they would be good for your set-up because of their potential aggression and nippiness issues.
I would recommend getting 6 corys for the bottom, a trio of pitbull plecos, upping your school of danios to 10, and then getting a pencilfish or 2 as a centerpiece. They would more tolerant of the danios.
But, if you don't like that idea, thats fine too. There are certainly more options.

Back
Top Bottom