Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Stocking suggestions?

Hi all,
I have a 40 bow front with 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 albino bichir, 1 African leaf fish, and 1 tiger pleco. What other choices do I have and what would u put in next? Tank is cycled and everything is fine. I have a 55 aqueon quitflow, and 30 aqueon quitflow as my filtration
__________________

__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
A school of Torpedo Barbs.
A pair of Bosemani Rainbows.
A school of Neons/Serpae/Harlequin/Rummynose.
A Pearl Gourami.
A Siamese Algae Eater.
A pair of Angels.

It really is up to you, that's the beauty of the hobby.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JRT83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyofhockey View Post
Hi all,
I have a 40 bow front with 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 albino bichir, 1 African leaf fish, and 1 tiger pleco. What other choices do I have and what would u put in next? Tank is cycled and everything is fine. I have a 55 aqueon quitflow, and 30 aqueon quitflow as my filtration
You're already overstocked, I'd get rid of the bichir before you add anything else.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
JRT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT83 View Post
You're already overstocked, I'd get rid of the bichir before you add anything else.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Actually he isn't.... I put it into Aqadvisor and he's rather under stocked, coming in at 82% so he's got some room. I personally think you, you being Rocky, should get a school of something or another single fish although your tank is basically all single fish with not much activity a school would spice it up. Some type of Barb I think would go good, I still cannot explain why your last batch of Tigers didn't work but Tigers are not the only ones out there. Rocky what are you looking for, action like schools or stick with solo type fish?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Actually he isn't.... I put it into Aqadvisor and he's rather under stocked, coming in at 82% so he's got some room. I personally think you, you being Rocky, should get a school of something or another single fish although your tank is basically all single fish with not much activity a school would spice it up. Some type of Barb I think would go good, I still cannot explain why your last batch of Tigers didn't work but Tigers are not the only ones out there. Rocky what are you looking for, action like schools or stick with solo type fish?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea I didn't think it was overstocked.... Especially since I have a lot of filtration. Could it be possible for u to list top 3 schooling fish would work and top 3 solo fish that u believe would work best for my tank.... And thx bichir bro for always helping, it really helps
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 70
It also depends on the size of the bichir as to what else u can add to the tank......they are an active night time predator so make sure what u add can't fit into its mouth.
__________________
Ynotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
He's around 6 inches
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407537822.067266.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	246078 uClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407537837.171393.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	246079 can't believe how he's so big already
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FWFishTanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyofhockey View Post
Attachment 246078 uAttachment 246079 can't believe how he's so big already
Lookin good!
__________________
FWFishTanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWFishTanks View Post
Lookin good!

Yea thx!!! He's the main show!! So what fish would be good for my tank
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,177
Hey Rock, i don't know what's going to survive with that bad boy in there??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Hey Rock, i don't know what's going to survive with that bad boy in there??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Believe it or not before he got to 4 inches he was in my 20 gallon with my African dwarf frog and would not touch him!!! His really a gentle giant 😆
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JRT83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Actually he isn't.... I put it into Aqadvisor and he's rather under stocked, coming in at 82% so he's got some room. I personally think you, you being Rocky, should get a school of something or another single fish although your tank is basically all single fish with not much activity a school would spice it up. Some type of Barb I think would go good, I still cannot explain why your last batch of Tigers didn't work but Tigers are not the only ones out there. Rocky what are you looking for, action like schools or stick with solo type fish?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
With a name like bichir bro, I'd think you'd be a little more knowledgeable on bichirs... hes got it in a 40 gal, a 75 gal would be more appropriate. Not to mention he'll have a few snacks in there with that current stock as he grows. And any schooling fish that someone could fit in a 40 gal will more than likely become dinner for the bichir as well.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
JRT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Ok thx! What fish do u think would become a snack as he grows? Also what schooling fish would u suggest? Not to good with schooling fish
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Stocking suggestions?

Ok I'm back, man Rocky your Bichirs looking great! He looks so happy and he's grown a ton! Ok here's my list:

1.) Columbian Tetra: These are rather large, awesome looking Tetras that will add tons of color and movement. They're honestly pretty friggin awesome looking fish when in a big school (7+ is a recommended number). With your stock id say the most you could safely get is 12.
2.) Penguin Tetra: yet another awesome Tetra, my personal favorite these guys will add lots of movement to your top strata. What they lack in color they make up for it in size coming in at about 4"! I love these guys and personally I would get these. No more than 12 to not set you over.
3.) Black Ruby Barb: I love these guys and their color when happy and comfortable is breathtaking, nothing compared to their breeding dress though! Normal I wouldn't recommend a smaller Barb but their odd shape and speed should keep them safe. I'd be cautious if you do get these (with your stock id personally do the other two choices) because the Leopard Ctenopoma, and in rare cases the Bichir too, may take a likin to them. Like me when I see a steak.

Rocky, since none of your fish are small fish if any of those fish become Bichir food you need to let me know so I can call the air force and carpet bomb him. The Seneglaus Bichirs are not known to be overly predatory and are instead known for their more peaceful and laid back temper of the Polypteridae.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Ok I'm back, man Rocky your Bichirs looking great! He looks so happy and he's grown a ton! Ok here's my list:

1.) Columbian Tetra: These are rather large, awesome looking Tetras that will add tons of color and movement. They're honestly pretty friggin awesome looking fish when in a big school (7+ is a recommended number). With your stock id say the most you could safely get is 12.
2.) Penguin Tetra: yet another awesome Tetra, my personal favorite these guys will add lots of movement to your top strata. What they lack in color they make up for it in size coming in at about 4"! I love these guys and personally I would get these. No more than 12 to not set you over.
3.) Black Ruby Barb: I love these guys and their color when happy and comfortable is breathtaking, nothing compared to their breeding dress though! Normal I wouldn't recommend a smaller Barb but their odd shape and speed should keep them safe. I'd be cautious if you do get these (with your stock id personally do the other two choices) because the Leopard Ctenopoma, and in rare cases the Bichir too, may take a likin to them. Like me when I see a steak.

Rocky, since none of your fish are small fish if any of those fish become Bichir food you need to let me know so I can call the air force and carpet bomb him. The Seneglaus Bichirs are not known to be overly predatory and are instead known for their more peaceful and laid back temper of the Polypteridae.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That looks great!!!! I do def love the penguin and Colombian.! I might be looking to get some. Do u think a school of 6-8 would be ok?
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyofhockey View Post
That looks great!!!! I do def love the penguin and Colombian.! I might be looking to get some. Do u think a school of 6-8 would be ok?

Yeah that'd be good! Just remember your max number should be 12 and a great number for total that I recommend is 10.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Yeah that'd be good! Just remember your max number should be 12 and a great number for total that I recommend is 10.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thx sooo much! Are they aggressive ?
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyofhockey View Post
Ok thx sooo much! Are they aggressive ?

Penguins and Colombians are semi-aggressive. They can hold their own, Penguins especially, real good and are not too too aggressive. Id assume the worst thing you might see out of them is MAYBE getting mad at the Ctenopoma depending on his size but I honestly doubt that.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Penguins and Colombians are semi-aggressive. They can hold their own, Penguins especially, real good and are not too too aggressive. Id assume the worst thing you might see out of them is MAYBE getting mad at the Ctenopoma depending on his size but I honestly doubt that.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so I would assume they will all work out then
__________________

__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stock, stocking, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions on stocking my aquatic medicine cabinet? Sati Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 5 04-05-2004 07:54 PM
stocking suggestions for a 40gal. smidget Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 28 04-05-2004 01:27 AM
5gal stocking suggestions *groan...* TankGirl Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 24 03-31-2004 10:38 AM
Stocking Suggestions superswamper Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 1 11-15-2003 04:02 AM
Suggestions for stocking new 55g reef jwwill0 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 07-16-2003 02:40 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×