Stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty quick response! You should look into anubias too. There are many different varieties and they don't need bright lighting.

I was in the middle of cleaning the tank so i figured it was perfect timing! Thanks again ?

Sent from my E2306 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like you got your question answered. I just put a dwarf gourami with 4 blood find tetras, 3 female bettas, and a couple Cory's and except for the occasional nipping by the bettas, my tank is in harmony. The blood fun tetras are so fun to watch. I highly recommend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fin.. **** auto correct

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well all my fish are alive, but sadly my new long fin zebra danio and one of my high fin platies have ick!

I wish I had kept my old 20 gallon for quarantine rather then put in the new fish >.< but I've had the platy for months, maybe he got it from the other new fish though?

My water parameters are all good so I know it's not from poor water conditions, ick is such a pain :( I will try to treat with high temp and aquarium salt but i'm worried about how the neons and pleco will handle this. I'd rather avoid using the medications to cure ick though because of my live plants and it can be harsh on fish. Any advice before I start treatment?

Aw, that sucks :( Do you have an extra filter and heater? I would do everything to get them into another container for the time being because neons tend to be pretty sensitive. Keep us updated

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well one of my glowlight tetras has an ick spot on his gill so I need to treat him too :(

I am being very cautious with the amount of salt and only have a tablespoon per 10 gallons. I started treatment last night and so far all the fish (including the pleco and my tetras) and doing well. They are eating and active so I am hopeful that I caught things early enough! I've also added an airstone to help add more oxygen into the water.

Fingers crossed that treatment goes well, I'm getting a hydrometer tomorrow to help keep track of the salt levels. Oh the joys of tending an aquarium lol ;)

Not sure if this is true but I just read somewhere that hydrometers shouldn't be trusted and there's some sort of other gadget that's more accurate ?

Edit: I think it was called a refractometer. It was also a SW thread so it might be fine to use a hydrometer for FW

Yeah I'm getting a hydrometer for fresh water, just as an extra precaution to help keep track. I'm still keeping track of how much I put in/ take out ect.

I've had luck treating with heat and salt before to treat ick. It always seems to happen with new fish or after a tank change but I've never had the pleco or tetra before so thats why I'm being so cautious ?

You have to treat ich aggressively. It definitely got into your tank with new fish. If you are worried about your plants, you should remove them from the tank and return them when effective treatment is completed. Ich trophonts die if they don't find a host in 4 days, so your plants will not reinfect your fish when reintroduced.

My plants are doing alright, as are all my fish. One of the three sick fish are ick free and the rest of my fish haven't been infected (fingers crossed it stays this way!). The two infected ones only have one or two spots left but I know I've got to kill the free swimming stuff before it latches onto the other fish. I find daily gravel vaccuming and water changes are a nice added help to getting rid of ick ☺

A bit of an update... I should have kept my quarantine tank for the new fish!! Stupid me trying to save a few bucks ?

The neons I got along with a danio brought ick to my tank and I'm still dealing with it ? I tried raising the temperature and using salt as I have in the past but it wasn't quiet enough to break the cycle. So I've had to resort to meds (using half dose of tetra ick guard tabs) but four of my tetras have died from the meds (only one had ick but not bad enough to kill him). I'm also worried about my tank on the whole, and if it's going to lose all the good bacteria.

The rest of my fish are doing fine, even my pleco is doing well. Those darn tetras really don't handle meds well, sorta wishing I went with the gourami ?

Back
Top Bottom