Stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alliebird

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

Looking for suggestions for 2-3 more fish for our 20g high tank. Currently, we have 2 female platies, 1 (very cute baby) bristlenose pleco, and 3 mystery snails. For what it's worth, AqAdvisor says the stocking level is currently 68%.

I'd rather not do any more livebearers, but I'm unsure what to add that does not need a school, is undemanding, and isn't too pricey.

Thoughts?

Thanks!:thanks:

Research Bolivian rams. 20 gallons would be the minimum size for one or two of these dwarf cichlids. Petsmart usually sells them for $3 - 5$. Be careful not to select two males.

I would not put Bolivian Rams in a 24" tank. They are very active fish and get much bigger than the blue/gold variant.

What about a honey gourami?

A female betta might do well -- maybe even a male, though there's always the risk he won't play well with his tank mates. The earlier suggestion of a Honey Dwarf gourami is a good one: there are some nice color variations on the market.

I've thought about tetras, but they'd need a school bigger than 3 fish, correct?

My daughter would LOVE a betta. She's a bit obsessed. :)

I have one Dwarf gourami in my 20g. He chased my platy around from time to time, but never nips or leaves marks that I have seen.
If you wanted a small school, which would probably be more than 2-3, you could get cardinal or neon tetras (or any small tetra) or danios.

I think you could do a group of 5-6 Neons. They are small fish and don't poop nearly as much as your other fish.

You may need to rehome or upgrade the Pleco later. BN are recommended for 30g or larger due to pooping so much.

Make sure you have real wood for him.

If you do weekly water changes, you can grow plants and they'll help keep your water clean as well.

A Pothos vine growing with roots in your tank is very helpful also.

IMG_5320.jpg

Can you post a pic of your tank ?

When i think what a perfect neon tetra display tank looks like, you did it. Nice job.

Can't stop laughing over that one. I admire skilled aquagardeners because i do not have a green thumb. That's why i grow rocks and keep mean fish.

Coursair, your tank is gorgeous!

Here is my tank. I feel embarrassed to post it after yours--please keep in mind it is in a 6yo's room and therefore intended to be...not realistic. :)

I may do real plants eventually. The flourescent light in the tank is old and probably should be replaced before venture that way. I do have a pothos cutting in the HOB filter.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.JPG
    IMG_3441.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Nice looking tank. Now just replace the neons with some real fish and you will be good to go. :angel:

Ha Ha funny ! I used to keep Rattlesnakes and Tarantulas as well as Birds of Prey. I never needed mean fish.

I managed pet stores. Had plenty of Oscars and Africans to deal with at work.
As well as Lionfish etc...

I'll keep my box of planted nature thanks.
;)

I have a Betta in a 5.5g and an Apisto Double Red Aggie in my 10g so I have mini predators.
IMG_5266.jpg

Last edited:
I'm amazed the construction paper background has lasted as long as it has. I'll see if there's some black paper and try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Will look into Neon Tetras and other small schooling fish. Even if they're not "real" fish. ;-)

Some of us had enough real in our lives. This was in the 80's
IMG_5252.jpg

The 90's
IMG_2209.JPG

The current decade...helped train GSD attack dogs. This guy now works for DEA
IMG_0799.jpg

I don't need fish who tear up my tank or bite me to feel macho. LOL

And to the OP ? I hope your kid loves the tank.

IMG_5282.jpg
I also grow canivorous plants. Mine catch and eat flies, wasps and moths

Tina
Still not a dude ( old joke)

Back
Top Bottom