Stocking suggestions - bold, lively, peaceful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friendlyfishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My tank measures 100 x 40 x 55 cm and it has a powerful external filter, airpump and heater. My fishless cycle is nearing it's final stage so I am now thinking hard on what other fish I want besides Hoplos (which is the "must have" fish for me). I plan to have 2 to 3 Megalechis thoracata (they are spotted Hoplos that normally grow no more than five inches long), and want some fish for the upper levels of the tank.

I'm looking for advise on possible tank mates as I'd like to get things just right - I don't want White Cloud Moutain Minnows or Teras. I want fish that I don't necessarily have to maintain in large groups, as I prefer variety over mass (if possible), and I want fish that can mix well with other fish. So smaller group fish, say 5 or 6 of same fish prefered.

I want to keep the tank at 22c but not much more as I don't want to stress the Megalechis thoracata, or shorten their life span. I want fish that are basicly subtropical.

I'm looking for fish that are:

Hardy
Active
Not too shy
Moderate planted tank requirments

I'm also interested in getting a small Pleco at some point, and want to know if they get on okay with Hoplos.

Also, would it be okay to add a few corys (say 4) in with the Megalechis thoracata, or are they too food competitive to think of adding a few corys. Just I'd love some peppered corys or similar.

With that big of a tank you have quite a bit of wiggle room, not sure about the Megalechis thoracata though.

For bigger schooling fish that don't need to be kept in large groups, I would recommend discus, bloodfin, bleeding heart, red phantom, or similar looking tetras, furcata or threadfin rainbows, brochis, and bigger barbs.

I would also recommend rainbow fishes, but my faves are boesmani and turquoise/lake ktubu rainbows. They definitely fit your description of bold, lively, and peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom