Stocking suggestions for 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I recently got my bf into fish keeping. LOL. We found a brand new 10 gal fish tank kit unopened at this thrift store for a really good price. So we bought it. He has a smaller tank (Like way small) already with 2 baloon mollies and a snail. The baloon mollies are female.

Does anyone have suggestions for more fish he can add? He likes red serpae tetras and also tiger barbs but idk if those would work in that tank. We also threw around the idea of him letting the mollies breed by getting more mollies.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Keep in mind this is his thing not mine so he does not fully understand and without my help would probably overstock his tank with the wrong fish... Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tiger Barbs are way too small for a 10 gallon. I wouldn't do Serpae Tetras in there either.

I'd do 6-8 small shoaling fish. Neon Tetras, Green Neon Tetras, Ember Tetras, etc. If you do weekly water changes, you might be able to also add a half dozen Pygmy Corys to occupy the bottom of the tank. Check AqAdvisor.com to get an idea of the stocking percentage.

Thanks. I didn't think those fish would work well for that tank either. But I figured I'd check. I'm thinking I should just have him stick with live bearers as they are easier to care for IMO. Maybe some zebra danio?

Thanks. I didn't think those fish would work well for that tank either. But I figured I'd check. I'm thinking I should just have him stick with live bearers as they are easier to care for IMO. Maybe some zebra danio?

I have kept zebra danios for a while, and I used to have a school in my 10 gallon, but they just seemed unhappy so I moved them to a 20. I think livebearers may be the best way to go at the moment.

I'm all for guppies and endlers

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
5.5g betta

If he wants something fun and unique try an ADF species tank. They are funny in groups.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435701542.060366.jpg

Caleb

Ahhh tanks! He might like them. Do you know their needs? How big they get? How many can you keep? Thanks!

Yeah, Zebras are too small for a 10.

Good call on the Endlers and guppies. Those will work nicely as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ahhh tanks! He might like them. Do you know their needs? How big they get? How many can you keep? Thanks!

Couple inches tops. 5-6 in a 10g since they stay small. Keep good water quality and hand feed or spot feed them. Provide hiding places as they can be shy. Bigger the group the more active they are.

Caleb

I'm a huge fan of guppies. They are super hardy, do well with most fish, love when you come up to the glass, and are colorful.

Back
Top Bottom