Stocking suggestions for a new 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTcolorchangn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 German Blue Rams, 4 Harlequin Rasboras, and 3 Amano shrimp.

In the coming weeks I will be getting a 55 gallon tank. I am planning on buying a Rena Filstar XP2 for my filtration. As for stocking the tank, these have been my thoughts so far:

-4 Harlequin Rasboras (from my current 10 gallon)
-1 Redtail Shark
-Firemouth (not sure if one would be best, or multiple)
-School of Tiger Barbs (maybe 8-10)
-School of Cory's (not sure what kind, I'm open for suggestions.)
-Pleco (most likely a BN Pleco)

I'm open to anyone's suggestions of what they think would look good in the tank. I'm planning on leaving the German Blue Rams and the amano shrimp in the 10 gallon.

I'm planning on most likely using driftwood and artificial plants for my decorations, along with plenty of cave areas. Sand would be a better substrate than gravel in this tank, correct?

As for the Firemouths, would a lone Firemouth be best, or several?

Any opinions are appreciated! TIA!

-Chris

The firemouth may get agressive (tho most aren't), getting a couple if they are all male will almost ensure agression. The rasboras will fit in their mouth and likely go missing, next would be the tigers.

I'ld say keep only 1, and keep an eye on him for agression, if you get him young you may find he get's so used to the smaller fish he leaves them alone.

I see no problem with the fish you've listed and I may be very wrong on the firemouth, cichlids are not my thing, so perhaps someone who knows more about cichlids or firemouths specifically will have a more specific answer for you. The do prefer sand substrate (that much I do know) and they can have (if 100% survival) 2500 fry a year if there are a suited pair.

Also consider that cichlids do have different food then the rest and won't survive all that well on flake food.

I wouldn't house firemouths with rasboras and rasboras with tiger barbs. A firemouth is doable with tiger barbs, but the barbs need to be well established in the tank and in a good size school of at least five first before the introduction of a young firemouth...and never pair it up. Keep it single. Paired firemouths can eventually kill everything on that list. They are fierce parents. In fact, it should be the very last fish introduced. It's the only way it can work. Firemouths are a South American cichlid and can get aggressive, though not as aggressive as many other SA cichlids. Order of introduction is key to a successfull introduction. Any fish introduced to the firemouth has a good chance of being attacked. Both tiger barbs and firemouths are too aggressive for the rasboras in either introduction order. The basic daily activities of those fish would probably make them nervous.

BTW...cichlids do just fine on flake food. Just make sure everyone gets their veggies. :)

Ok, thanks for the replies so far. I think I'll just keep the Rasboras in the 10 gallon then.

My goal for this tank is to have an interesting centerpiece fish (possible firemouth) with plenty of other activity (Tiger Barbs for the middle, Cory's for the bottom).

How many Cory's should I get, maybe 6?

If anyone has an idea for a centerpiece fish besides the Firemouth, please suggest it.

Is there any other fish that someone would suggest adding to the tank? This list was just some of my brainstorming, I'm completely open to suggestions.

Thanks.

-Chris

A pair or two of angels would be nice. Same deal with the angels, they should be introduced after the smaller f ish, but wouldn't house them with tiger barbs. Everything you have listed minus the firemouth would go nice with the angels...so long as the angels are the last ones in.

With tiger barbs...gouramis are suitable and so are rainbow fish. The r/t shark would live nicely with them too. I'd say keep the neons and the rasoboras together in the 20. Tiger barbs, r/t shark and ??? in the other. Eventually the r/t shark would have to come out anyway. They get about 5" to 7" and appreciate a larger home to suit their foraging needs. Beautiful fish when they're that big.

Cories do best in groups of 5+ so 6 is a good number to get. I found after one of my 5 failed his flying lessons they the rest just didn't school as much and were far less active. Now that there are 7 of them, they're bouncing around in glee again.

Panda's would be my first choice, then Bandits then Julii's. Just from personal experience they seem to be the most active, in that order.

As for centerpiece fish, Angels and Gourami's tend to be the most common for community tanks. They're friendly enough not to eat thier tank mates most of the time, and come in a variety of color/fin variations these days. There's others here that probably have more interesting idea's, and would know if other fish are compatible.

Ok, I think I'll scratch the tiger barbs and the firemouth. Here is my new list of proposed fish for my future 55 gallon:

-Angel Fish (not sure if 2 would be best, or 4)
-1 Redtail Shark or Rainbow Shark
-1 Opaline Gourami
-7 Cories (not sure what type yet)
-1 Golden Dojo Loach
-1 BN Pleco

From what I've read, I could have 4 Angel Fish in my 55, I would just have to be prepared to seperate them if they pair off? Would getting different kinds of angel fish prevent them from pairing off and thereby becoming aggresive? Or will say a koi and a marble pair off?

Anyone see any problems with this setup? Are there any small/medium schooling fish that I could add, or would that be pushing the bio-load? Weekly PWC wouldn't be a problem.

Are there any shrimp that I could add? Maybe a vampire shrimp?

Thanks again!

Okay, I bought my 55 gallon tank. It's going to be set up in a few days. Here is my plan for fish in the 55:

-5 Angelfish
-1 Opaline Gourami
-1 Rainbow Shark
-7 Cories
-1 Gold Dojo Loach
-1 Singapore Flower Shrimp
-1 BN Pleco

Luckily, my biology teacher is moving and is giving away her old fish tank. It's a 39 gal hexagon tank that comes with a stand and a Ehiem filter! I plan to set it up with just a few small schooling fish for right now. That way if I get a pair of angels, I can move them into the 39 hex if they become aggressive.

I plan to buy the rainbow shark, gold dojo loach, cories, and gourami from a LFS and introducing them into the tank first. After a while I'll order the angels, singapore flower shrimp, and BN pleco from liveaquaria.com. I just can't find the variety of angels that I want at any of my LFS. Plus I've never been able to find large shrimp or a BN pleco around me either.

However, I still have a few questions:

1. Will different cories (ie pandas, bandits, jullis) school together?

2. Will the Singapore Flower Shrimp (I think it's the same thing as a wood shimp) be okay with the gold dojo loach? I read on liveaquaria.com to watch the dojo loach with smaller inverts such as ghost and amano shrimp. However, the Singapore Flower Shimp gets to 3.5".....would it be safe?

Back
Top Bottom