Stocking suggestions for new 55 gal (48" x 12 or 13&quo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
We set this up three days ago, with the filter from our previous 20g (Tetra PF150) and the gravel from that tank as well. The kit we bought has a Penguin 330, also on the tank. Thus far we are using artificial plants only. Weekly 20-25% water changes will be done, as they were on the 20 while that was set up.

This tank was set up to provide somewhat more space for the 12" pl*costomus we got as a castoff in the 20g tank. Still looking for a more appropriately large home for "Fred", but the 55 will have to do for now.

Weekly 20-25% water changes will be done, as they were on the 20 while that was set up.

We gots 5 danios in the tank with the pl*co. Imagine the gorgeous display :lol: ! We would like to put mebbe 10 more danios in to have a happy school. I would like another school of small fish (rasboras or tetras) as well. And perhaps a herd of 5-7 corys.

Am I insane? I am very open to suggestions, especially for fish that grow to maybe 3 inches but can be kept in twos or threes...

Give the new filter time to seed before adding more fish (a week at least), then add your new fish over time. Good luck finding Fred a suitable home. I took an 8"+ pleco in from someone's 50 gallon and put him in an 80 gallon tank and I wish I could upgrade to a 120 already :roll: Anyway, I would round out the school of danios at 9ish and add another school of 9ish (rasboras or tetras--choose the one you like best). You can do 5-7 cories and a "show fish" if that's what you mean by 3 inch fish that can be kept in twos or threes. Keep up on the PWC! Pick the show fish first, before the rasboras or tetras. The show fish will dictate what kind of tank mates you can have (in general, tetras that are rounded as opposed to bullet-shaped are nippers). I like the smaller South America cichlids as show fish since they are often peaceful and beautiful. They can be kept in groups of three—one male to two females.

Back
Top Bottom