Stocking suggestions for new 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jxr182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just found an amazing deal on a 75 gallon show tank. Came with two, two-bio wheel power filters and a canister filter. I've been in saltwater the last couple of years but there's just no way I could afford to run this thing saltwater so I think we're gonna go freshwater.

I know there are amazing freshwater fish out there, but they may not be soemthing carried everyday at a lfs. could you all offer some suggestions? In the saltwater world I love eels and puffers while my boyfriend is mostly crazy about the inverts. We definately want a live planted tank. Any suggestions? Thanks!

One of my favorite themes would be a South American tank. A 75g tank opens up many options for a planted tank as well as what types of fish you could keep. I would recommend the following:

5 Discus
2 Angelfish
2 Blue Rams (1 sexed pair)
2 Bolivian Rams (1 sexed pair)
3 BN Plecos
6 Cories
10 Hatchetfish
24 Cardinal Tetras or Neon Tetras

You could change any of those out with something else but I think it would make for a great looking tank.

As for plants you may want to consider vals, amazon swords, melon swords, other types of swords, anubias, java fern, etc. Some of those don't fit the biotype that I suggested, but if you plan to put driftwood into the tank, which I strongly recommend, both for the looks and for the plecos, then you might as well tie some java fern and anubias to the wood. Those aren't supposed to have their rhizomes buried.

There are many other things that you could do with that tank but I thought you might appreciate a tank that could look as awesome as what I suggested.

Welcome to the site!

Then you have myself that goes against the grain and mixes SA cichlids and Africans. I chose crushed coral and I have live plants that are doing fairly well.

I have learned over the years it's about what works FOR YOU, and not because someone says that it won't work.

The reason that SA cichlids aren't kept with Africans isn't because of the pH (for the most part). The main reason is because Africans tend to be more aggressive than SA cichlids, which could be killed easily by them.

The reason that SA cichlids aren't kept with Africans isn't because of the pH (for the most part). The main reason is because Africans tend to be more aggressive than SA cichlids, which could be killed easily by them.

Totally.
My own experiences tell a different story.
I have one SA that runs the tank and a Sunshine Peacock coming in a close second in command. It's very odd.

I've definately done cichlid tanks in the past. As far as readily available freshwater fish, they are the prettiest. As for this tank I've considered both community and agressive. I can see having a large single fish with a tank of smaller cichlids (they're quick lol) but i can also see having several schools of smaller community tanks.
I've just never done a freshwater of this size and so I'm just wondering what new options are out there. And I would love to hear about some less common fish that might work out well, something that's a little more interesting than your average Petsmart carries.

You really might want to look into discus, rams, and angelfish then. They are all cichlids and they tend to be interested in their surroundings. My discus always get excited when they see me because they think they are getting food. They can see me from 20 ft away! They will even let me pet them and hold them in the tank. There are some nice variations of angelfish, of which I'm certain you'd find one that you like whether it's wild Altums, albino pearlscales, or high coverage kois (lots of orange). In addition, blue rams have a great "personality" to them and are a blast to watch. They are easy to get to spawn for you and you could possibly have babies if you want to look after them.

I am going to look into the discus. It seems like they're honestly going to end up costing about as much as I would spend on a saltwater setup but they're interesting so we'll see.

Hmmm, not too close to any places that I know of where you could go and pic out some really nice stuff. You should go to www.simplydiscus.com/forum and research about discus there. You will find answers to any questions you may have about them. I strongly suggest that you do a good deal of research before you make any purchase. Often, people go about it the "wrong way" and end up with poor quality/sick discus, the wrong number of them, wrong sizes, etc. Just wanted to make sure that this doesn't happen to you. They really are a wonderful fish to keep.

Back
Top Bottom