Stocking Suggestions for School Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i will be setting up 2 tanks in my classroom this fall...

a 10 and a 45

but what should stock them with...

in the past i have had goldfish, Convict Cichlids and Malawi Cichlids as classroom pets

some of the ideas i have... some species of dwarf cichlids (apistos, kribs,...) for the 10, with my fingers crossed that they will breed as i have found my students really enjoy watching the breeding and fry rearing behaviors

in the 45 i have thought about keeping some local native fish, such as various types of "minnows" (probaly not "game fish" as they get to big) i am also thinking about doing brackish in the tank and getting a couple Green Spoted Puffers

but i am open to any suggestions...

to many cool fish to keep and not enough tanks :roll:

Puffers would not be classrom friendly in my opinion, when stressed they will puff and most likely die after that.

The apisto idea is good.

If laws permit you to collect or buy native fish, then go for it, i think that would be quite interesting. Also... i beleive most states awsell as all of Canada do not allow you to keep game fish, so you are ok there.

Let us know what you decide, or if you come up with any other ideas.

WaterPond said:
Puffers would not be classrom friendly in my opinion, when stressed they will puff and most likely die after that.
that is a concern i had as well
The apisto idea is good.

If laws permit you to collect or buy native fish, then go for it, i think that would be quite interesting. Also... i beleive most states awsell as all of Canada do not allow you to keep game fish, so you are ok there.

Let us know what you decide, or if you come up with any other ideas.
as far as game fish in MN, you just need a valid fishing license, and any fish in your tank count against you limit.

and i do not need to really "collect" native minnows, i would just get them at a bait shop :D

i vote for NEWTS!!!

seriously.. a little river tank with newts and minnows would be awesome

JDogg said:
and i do not need to really "collect" native minnows, i would just get them at a bait shop :D

I say collect, because you can get much healthier fish from collecting your own. Bait fish are often diseased because of the cruddy conditions they live in. Also, i find collecting more fun. I went on a collecting trip and we caught a bunch of rainbow darters during their mating season. The males were so beautiful. Can't get them at a bait shop for sure. But of course i was with my fish club, not just a lone nut with a dip net near a creek. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom