Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
A dozen Angels in a 35g sounds like a terrible idea. Large fish grow best in big tanks. 3 Angels maybe and keep the favorite.

If it was me ?

A group of Threadfin Rainbows.

Corydoras

Seal the tank well if you have Hatchets, plus some floating plants for cover help.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on the angel bit. Even as babies, 12 in that size tank will quickly need downsizing.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
A dozen Angels in a 35g sounds like a terrible idea. Large fish grow best in big tanks. 3 Angels maybe and keep the favorite.

If it was me ?

A group of Threadfin Rainbows.

Corydoras

Seal the tank well if you have Hatchets, plus some floating plants for cover help.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was suggesting from a tiny size dime or pea size) and to rehome as they grew. They are cheapest this way and at that size they are sold in 6-12 anyways. Plus it is fun to watch them grow from this size.

If the op wants to get them at a larger size then obviously only a few is a better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Newbie here, after doing a lot of research I chose 2 angel ( probably will have to move 1 in time), and I decided to go with 4 platy, 3 Cory, 6 oto, also have 2 bumblebee gobies.
I also liked the idea of dwarf gourami but opted for more movement. Note: the angels were brought in small and the BB gobies were already there, it had been their home for a while.
Ok from a newbie, established hobbyists please chime in if this is bad.

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
Rams can be very sensitive depending on the species, but they have fun personalities. Very friendly, inquisitive, and will run up to the glass to do the "please feed me" dance whenever they see you. If you're concerned about their sensitivity, you can go the Bolivian Ram route. They tend to be much hardier than any of the Gold, Blue, German, etc varieties.
I agree with this. I know two very knowledgeable aquarists who've suddenly lost German Blue Rams for no apparent reason. They're beautiful fish, but it comes with a price.

A pair of Bolivian Rams be a nice bottom centerpiece (do not put two males together). If you're looking for easier fish for that area, a half dozen corys would also work.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Corys will be happier in a school of 5-6

Old 11-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
Newbie here, after doing a lot of research I chose 2 angel ( probably will have to move 1 in time), and I decided to go with 4 platy, 3 Cory, 6 oto, also have 2 bumblebee gobies.
I also liked the idea of dwarf gourami but opted for more movement. Note: the angels were brought in small and the BB gobies were already there, it had been their home for a while.
Ok from a newbie, established hobbyists please chime in if this is bad.

I would add one or two more corys. They like to be in schools. If you're squeezed for space, subtract an oto.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWaquarist View Post
I would add one or two more corys. They like to be in schools. If you're squeezed for space, subtract an oto.

I've never had over 4, is this why I don't ever see them together? They have never been close or around each other. All my others pair up and have a buddy. If you say there better that way I'll add, just curious of the difference? The otos I got to help with algae, and I find them amazing to watch, there fun, active and hang out together.

Amy
Old 11-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've never had over 4, is this why I don't ever see them together? They have never been close or around each other. All my others pair up and have a buddy. If you say there better that way I'll add, just curious of the difference? The otos I got to help with algae, and I find them amazing to watch, there fun, active and hang out together.
I have four Sterbai Corys and I would say that's probably the minimum number to keep. I'm considering getting a fifth.

If your corys aren't hanging out together, that could be a sign of stress. Mine tend to rest on the substrate during the day in groups of 3 or 4. Do you have dense planting, a cave, or some other place where they can feel secure?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

I can't say definitively the small number is why your cories go solo, but I have 12 of these little cories in my 55 and they always stay in groups of at least 4. Most of the time they line up grazing the sand in a bigger group. Very entertaining.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414857050.163462.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	254455

Old 11-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWaquarist View Post
I have four Sterbai Corys and I would say that's probably the minimum number to keep. I'm considering getting a fifth.

If your corys aren't hanging out together, that could be a sign of stress. Mine tend to rest on the substrate during the day in groups of 3 or 4. Do you have dense planting, a cave, or some other place where they can feel secure?

I'm working very hard on planting, I do have caves and hiding spots, 1 little guy is usually in there the other 2 are always looking for more food. I will try more, today. They don't have all be same kind do they?

Amy

Tags
stock, stocking, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com