Stocking suggestions please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. Picked up a new tank this weekend and I'm thinking about what to do with it. I'm seeding my filter media in my 55 gallon now.
I need some stocking suggestions as I want everything and can't make up my mind. I'm going to attempt live plants, low light nothing crazy. If I can't do a planted bottom I'll go with sand. I already have in my other tanks: silver dollars, pristella tetras, black phantom tetras, a swordtail, boesemani rainbows, and a bunch of different cories.
I'm thinking I may want to stick with a large school or mixed schools of tetras or live bearers, or maybe sparkling gouramis. I don't know if I want a centerpiece fish or not.
Any help is appreciated!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414539928.986724.jpg

Do a very green planted tank and some colorful tetras like harlequins and cardinals or
A nano tank! CPDs, emerald rasboras, scarlet badis, and lots of shrimp!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never kept shrimp...is there some benefit to the tank besides just having some cool creatures in there? Thanks!

They clean plants and get uneaten food. They will look really cool in that tank

Hex tanks are wonderful for angels!
As for schooling fish, they are less than ideal. The lack of horizontal space means you have to understock a bit and be extra careful about what you put in. I agree that nano fish would be very good. And definitely go planted. There ate some very easy low light plants out there!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would do an angelfish, 5 to 6 corys for the bottom, and a pair of rams of your choice (german blue, gold, or Bolivians).

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 on the single or pair of Angels. Having tall fish will help keep the tall tank from feeling empty :)

Rams can be very sensitive depending on the species, but they have fun personalities. Very friendly, inquisitive, and will run up to the glass to do the "please feed me" dance whenever they see you. If you're concerned about their sensitivity, you can go the Bolivian Ram route. They tend to be much hardier than any of the Gold, Blue, German, etc varieties.

View attachment 254284 pictures of the various rams more frequently available.

I highly recommend avoiding the "angel" and "balloon" varieties, as they are usually the result of heavy inbreeding.... As such, they are typically even more sensitive than standard rams and typically have far more health problems. All of the other varieties are good choices though :)

I have 4 GBRs. All ended up being female (what are the odds of that). Great personalities and so far they get along.

I'm just curious why they're classified as difficult fish. I'd be wary of making any mistake based on how much they cost!
I've kept a single angel before but haven't tried to keep multiple and I've read on here sometimes there can be aggression issues in groups if they don't pair off etc...? I had a feeling angels would be suggested but I wasn't sure I wanted to do anything from the cichlid family so just wanted to put some feelers out for maybe a smaller fish.
Does anyone think a group of sparkling gouramis would work?
I have some time so I'll have to see what my LFS can get or maybe break down and try ordering online. I just cringe at the shipping costs!

Rams are very intolerant of fluctuating water temperatures and nitrates above 20 ppm. Also, they need to be kept warmer than most, so they tend to be disease prone when kept cooler than 82F.

Sparkling Gourami would work as well, just don't keep them with boisterous tankmates.

Ok I think I've made up my mind:
Angel
School of black neon tetras
School of marbled hatchets
Shoal of cories, any black and white variety I can find (hopefully trilineatus I adore them)
I think the black/white/silver would be a cool contrast to live plants especially since there's no background and white walls.
Thoughts? I know as the angel gets bigger the tetras could be a snack so I can rehome the angel or tetras to my 55 when the time comes.

Sounds like it should work! If you raise the angel from a young age with the tetras you'll have a better chance of the angel leaving the tetras alone once it matures.

Good to know. I've only ever had angels at their adult size, are they relatively easy to raise?

Angels are easy to raise. They eat like pigs though as they grow. Don't hesitate to feed them plenty. Just do more water changes ;) and they will grow quickly.

I might suggest getting a dozen pea or dime sized ones so you have lots of entertainment as they grow. Just be aware that you will have to rehome the other 11 eventually.

A dozen Angels in a 35g sounds like a terrible idea. Large fish grow best in big tanks. 3 Angels maybe and keep the favorite.

If it was me ?

A group of Threadfin Rainbows.

Corydoras

Seal the tank well if you have Hatchets, plus some floating plants for cover help.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom