Stocking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a Dension Barb and its also a form of a shark some how. I really wish that I knew I could only have one kind of shark in my tank since I like them so much. I just wonder why in reading about the sharks that its either 1 or 6 in a tank. That being of each kind of shark. I also have a black shark in there too. It doesn't seem to bother a soul.

I don't have an algae problem but my nitrates were toxic to the fish and that was the main reason to getting it. Little did I know that it did all of that with the algae plus adding more oxygen to the tank if my fish don't rip it apart and kill it. I also got it as center piece for my tank too. It was bare in the middle. Now my problem will be getting all of these sharks out of my tank so that I don't have to get a 125 gallon tank to house all of them.

Baka sharks I'm not very fond of since they get way too big from what I've read. They need a swimming pool to be in as they mature. I've already got one huge fish that I wasn't informed about when I got it. I told the person that I didn't want really big fish. I ended up buying a Banded Leporinus and its a good size but still bigger than what I really want in my tank. It's a good looking fish and I don't want to keep having to buy a bigger tank as it out grows tanks quickly.

Well if your nitrates are getting out of hand just keep up with your water changes. Plants are great but they can only do so much for a tank. So I would say just do weekly water changes or more if needed and you will be okay. Also with bettas it is a hit or miss some are great with other fish while others arent. Mine hates everything including snails lol he harasses them like crazy if he sees them move at all. So he gets a tank all to himself :)

My nitrate problem is the opposite. When I change the water is when it sky rockets. My tap water is really high. I had a bag for the nitrate problem and then I think since it went into my filter it caused it to leak. So I have been doing test on the water and I think letting the water sit for a day or 2 before I do my water change will be best. Hopefully that will solve the problem. My fish aren't skipping off the decorations or gravel so that's a good thing. My Betta is a mellow one that just relaxes at the bottom of the tank but will come out when he wants to show his face and say hi to the other guppies in the tank. I just hope he doesn't go nuts on them.

Letting tap water sit for a couple days won't lower the nitrate level in it. What is the amount of nitrate in your tap water? Using RO water with tap water will cut your nitrate level down. So if you had 40ppm of nitrates in your tap water and used 50% RO to 50% tap water during WC's you'd be cutting your nitrates down to 20ppms.

It just depends on the temperment of the betta you get or have as to whether it will tolerate other fish. My one adult daughter has a betta with endler males and they get along great and have for many months. You can try any fish except for nippy ones with a betta but there is no guarantee any will work. If you try fish with your betta just have a back up plan in case you need to remove the fish or betta.

I actually have a male beta in with a bunch of guppies and he doesn't both my guppies at all. I also have some zebra danios and they do fine as well, although they are fast enough that he cant really catch them either. As another person stated it depends on your betas temperament. I have lyre tail guppies and their fins still look amazing and beautiful! good luck

Thank you. My beta must be pretty laid back cuz my guppies are alive and kicking. All of their fins look good so hopefully they all can live happily together in their own little world. I might get a few Danios to put in there too.

Will Cory cats tolerate salt in the water? I need a bottom feeding fish other than an algae eater.

Thanks. I need a bottom feeding fish that can leave my guppies and beta alone. Is there one out there?

He's not very aggressive at all. He just stays on the bottom of the tank all day long and doesn't bother a soul unless something comes close to him and then tries to chase them but isn't fast enough to catch whatever guppy he's chasing. The only way he'd catch another fish is if it were dead or went after him. Lol.

He's not very aggressive at all. He just stays on the bottom of the tank all day long and doesn't bother a soul unless something comes close to him and then tries to chase them but isn't fast enough to catch whatever guppy he's chasing. The only way he'd catch another fish is if it were dead or went after him. Lol.

You should really try ghost shrimp and maybe eventually add RCS if he is a peaceful betta

What is RCS? I can tell you he's got the life. 80 degrees all day and always sunny in his home. Lol.

Oh lord. Lol. Thanks. I don't know if there are any pet stores that sell them around me but I'll try.

Back
Top Bottom