Stocking the 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I've had my 40 up for years but it's fine for a change I need advice on what to stock it with. I like to have all areas of the tank covered. Top middle and bottom. Tho right now my current stock which are the only fish I kept are 5 black skirt tetras and a pleco. Any suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type.of pleco is it. If it's a common one it's will get way to big for that tank.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is a bristle nose

Oh ok that's fine for a 40 gal I would get some platies. For every male Platty you should get 2 females to keep the males from constantly harassing the females to mate.

Oh ok that's fine for a 40 gal I would get some platies. For every male Platty you should get 2 females to keep the males from constantly harassing the females to mate.

Any other suggestions

An angelfish

What types of fish are you interested in?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Dwarf neon rainbow or madagascar rainbow have nice colors and very active

For the top you could get some hatchet fish, a large group of them would look sweet. For the middle you could do a a couple angelfish, that would look great. Or maybe a trio of ram cichlids, either bolivians or German Blue's. You really have a ton of options for the middle. Maybe some smaller schools of tetras, or one big group of them. For the bottom It kind of depends on the substrate IMO. Most bottom dwellers prefer sand, like cory's and loaches. You can choose from a lot of cory's for the bottom, and my personal favorite is sterbai. Cory's prefer groups of at least 5 or 6, in in a 40 you could have at least 10. Another perfect fit for this tank is kuhli loaches. They max out at about 4". Again, they prefer groups so you could have at least 14 in here IMO. There are a lot of other kinds of loaches, maybe Sinibotia ( the member :lol: ) can help you. Is this a planted tank?

For the top you could get some hatchet fish, a large group of them would look sweet. For the middle you could do a a couple angelfish, that would look great. Or maybe a trio of ram cichlids, either bolivians or German Blue's. You really have a ton of options for the middle. Maybe some smaller schools of tetras, or one big group of them. For the bottom It kind of depends on the substrate IMO. Most bottom dwellers prefer sand, like cory's and loaches. You can choose from a lot of cory's for the bottom, and my personal favorite is sterbai. Cory's prefer groups of at least 5 or 6, in in a 40 you could have at least 10. Another perfect fit for this tank is kuhli loaches. They max out at about 4". Again, they prefer groups so you could have at least 14 in here IMO. There are a lot of other kinds of loaches, maybe Sinibotia ( the member :lol: ) can help you. Is this a planted tank?

Thank you so much! I love that idea! Any idea of what type of angle fish??

Yep, no problem :)

I really don't know that many kinds of angel fish, but I think most stay in the same size range. I've heard of koi angels, albino, veil tail and all blacks, to name a few. Here's a link that has some listed out: Freshwater Angelfish for Sale: Koi Angelfish and Veil Tailed Angelfish

I bet if you did some research you would find some really cool ones that you want tog get!

Angle fish?

There is the wonderful "Geometric Protractorniod" and the "Actueus Obtuseus".

Angle stuff. Just messing around.

Pure black Angles are my favorite, with Koi and Platinum Angles coming next. ("Angles" is intentional :p)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Angle fish?

There is the wonderful "Geometric Protractorniod" and the "Actueus Obtuseus".

Angle stuff. Just messing around.

Pure black Angles are my favorite, with Koi and Platinum Angles coming next. ("Angles" is intentional :p)

Lol that's 'acute' smiley.

*makes that snort through nose that is the internet version of laughter*

Thats was good.

I think I'm going to go through with the black angles!

In a 40 gallon a school of zebra loaches for the bottom would be awesome! You could also do angelicus but that would be a lot of bioload. Kuhli loaches would work as well of course. Depending on what other fish you get and your preferences a big shoal of sidthimunki loaches would work beautifully as well.

As for angelfish, I suggest sticking with one. A pair of angelfish is a menace in a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom