Stocking thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebob69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well...I'm getting pretty close to buying my aquarium. Still undecided on size..got it down between a 65 or a 75 in all probability. Here is a wishlist as far as stocking goes.

Option 1:

5-7 Boesmani Rainbows
3 YoYo Loaches
1 Red tail shark (if possible)

Any thoughts on other possible tankmates I could have? If I have room i'd like another species, maybe a small school of something.

Option 2:

A cichlid setup with various mbuna species. Labs etc.

Option 3:

A pair of Green Terror's perhaps with another cichlid or two or pleco.

Keep in mind I am new to the hobby.

In you opinion, what is my best option? I am leaning towards the community setup to start out with but would like to know what else I might add to my list.

Thanks in advance.

I like your first option, with more rather than fewer rainbows, and a school of 8-9 serpae tetras for red color. I'd also consider a BN pleco or a school of cory cats, but if you get a RTS they will compete for caves and hiding places, so you may want to skip the pleco and the cories if you go with the shark. The rainbows and serpaes and loaches will likely be fine with the shark.

That would make a wonderful mbuna tank but you have to be very careful with stocking to control aggression. That kind of tank will at some point or another have "issues" you will have to deal with, and it is hard to add new fish. With the first setup you'll just mainly have to worry about controlling water parameters and such.

Just one possibility of many, and I am sure you'll get lots of opinions!

I personally love cichlids. But I agree with TG, its a little more work. In your first option go with the school of cory cats that TG suggested. JMO. Red Tailed Sharks can get quite big. Although 65 or 75 would be a good size for them, I personally think they are nicer when they are small. :wink:

My recommendation would be to go with the 75G if possible. I've never regretted having a little more room and the 75G is perfect for almost anything you want to keep (well, short of a few tank busters) size-wise. If you do go with mbuna, try to provide ample rock cover. This will help reduce aggression and provide territorial markers for the fish. And remember that they like to dig, so an undergravel filter would not be a good idea. I don't want to scare you away from mbuna but there are a few things to avoid if you do decide to keep them :)

I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with the community setup. I am pretty set on having rainbows and yoyo loaches. I'm still up in the air as far as another school of something small and possibly some more bottom dwellers. So you guys think the RTS would be a bad idea eh? I like TGs suggestion for serpae tetras. I was also thinking maybe a school of barbs. Would tigers be ok with these fish or should I go with something more docile like rosy/gold barbs? As far as tetra's, i'm liking serpaes or do you think congos would be good or too big? I realize all of this comes down to personal preference but i'm all about suggestions too.

I second the 75g tank recommendation. I've been happy with my 55 for the last ten years, but once in a while I look at them in the LFS and they look tiny. I'm not sure if a 75 is longer, taller or has more depth. IMO the 55 is lacking in depth.

As far as fishies, I wouldn't rush. I'd find a really good LFS and spend some time there, if you haven't already. Look at the behavior of the fish in schools and how they look. I haven't tried a school yet, but am on the verge of it. My wife came up with a couple diamond tetras recently and they look nice. A school would be nicer. :) The 3yr old son loves black tetras. He's getting his own tank so I can move his black tetras out and get a school of diamonds. But I digress. Let me plug angels too before undigressing.

Once you have your ideas, make sure the fish are compatible by asking here. :) It's been hit and miss on the information that I receive at the LFS.

You know about cycling?

I would go for the school of congo tetras. Their size shouldn't be a problem in the size of tank you want. I like these over the serpae. they are however, a little more expensive that the serpae. I think that a school of congos would also look good with the school of rainbows. good luck with your tank :wink:

I have a 75, (4' by 21" x 18" Deep) and it's great, tho I'll be replacing it with a 125 or 150 in the near future.

The length is nice (65's are 3' I believe and a bit taller)

Red Tail sharks from what I've read only hit 5", not really big.

I prefer the first option aswell. (IMO)

I really like the look of the congo tetras. The only concern I have is that they are larger than many other tetras and i'd like to have a large school of the rainbows and tetras if possible. As well, it seems to me that while they don't look much alike, the rainbows and congos have some similar colours (blue, orange, green) and i'd like something to contrast the rainbows more. I guess it all comes down to personal taste and how much room I have after I stock my loaches, rainbows, etc.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. Feel free to keep em coming.

Back
Top Bottom