Storage containers: aquarium water safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to be moving my tank from school soon and i would like to have at least most of the water treated (amquel, buffers, etc) and ready to go. In order to speed up the process and reduce stress on the fish.

I was wondering if the rubbermaid/generic wal mart whatever brand containers are safe to keep water in. As in are there any harmful chemicals?
Also, could i line the container with something such as a basic garbage bag?

Thanks!

They will be fine. I found that coolers are by far better. They have better insulating capacity, usually sturdy handles, and most importantly they will keep beer icy cold later when not used for fish transport.

Just to clarify...is it safe to use water in the container alone or should i line it with a trash bag? Obviously making sure its not one of the scented or whatever ones.

I'd definately go with the cooler, in the situation that it sounds like your presenting. I assume this fish is leaving the school property, and I see a lot less mess in something with a good lid.

Coolers are also slightly watertight, if not, completely watertight. In the normal rubbermaid containers without the seals around the top, the water can slosh around and come out from under the top.

Rubbermaid containers are perfectly aquarium safe as is...so long as they were never washed with detergent. Once you use them foir fish, you obviously don't want to store your leftovers in them!

I agree that a cooler might be a better solution to your problem. A plastic garbage can (brand new, of course) will work nicely too. They are designed to hold and carry heavy loads. The handles on some rubbermaid storage containers may break off if you try to pick them up full of water.

Thanks for the input but let me clarify...I'm just looking for something to put water in (at home) the week before. So i can bring the tank home and have the water ready to go in the tank that is coming from school i.e. Ph buffers, amquel etc...the water has a bit different chemistry at home than school.

I did think it was kind of funny that people were mentioning food safe because i am talking about using large (10g) containers.

I work at a pet store so i have the supplies to move the fish and filter media and stuff that needs to stay wet.

In anyway i appreciate the help!

You would want to use something that is safe for food. If it is made to hold food, it shouldn't have any kind of chemicals that can potentially leak out of the container.

What kind of pH buffers are you using? What is the difference in the chemistry?

I'm not going to go into to detail but since you ask...i would like to have the water treated with amquel and buffers for PH. I have african cichlids.

Unless the new water source has a very low natural pH and hardness, you don't need to use buffers. Plus, I would not recommend using any kind of powder or liquid to try and achieve this. Crushed coral is a better alternative and does not have to be dosed at each water change.

Back
Top Bottom