Storing an open package of Bio Spira...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, maybe this is a sort of obvious question, but I really don't know whether or not it's okay to rerefrigerate an already opened package of bio spira. The packages seem to be sealed so tightly that's it's definitely not something I could ireplicate with tape. Is it okay to use half a pack of bacteria, and then put the rest back in the fridge?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to start adding fish to my new tank this weekend. I am adding a school of Harlequins with an oz of bio spira on Saturday, and then I have another oz left. The place where I am buying fish is quite a drive from my house, and because I don't have a car, I can only get out there on the weekends. I know you can add a full load of fish with bio spira, but I don't want to acclimate them all in one weekend. So, my plan was to go back the following weekend and get my clown loaches to add with another half pack of biospira. Could I save the other half pack in case I want to use it to add new fish or in the event of an emergency?

Please forgive the longwindedness of this post. :) Despite the fact this is a secondhand tank, I have been spending SO much money preparing it, and I want to save as much as possible from now on. Those little packs of bacteria add up!

And is there some sort of abrreviation for bio spira? The most obvious one doesn't seem to work too well. :lol:

He he. No, it's a pretty new concept/product, so no nicknames/abbreviations yet. I see the quandry over bs!

Catalina, I asked Bernie this question when I ordered my Bio Spira from him. He said you could store an opened package in the refrigerator for probably a couple of months without a problem. Being exposed to air shouldn't cause it to die off.

Just to be safe, I rolled the top of my opened package a couple of times and put a binder clip on it (one of those black metal clips used for holding a big stack of paper together). Then I put it in a ziplock freezer back and squeezed as much air out as possible.

I used the remainder of mine about six weeks later and it still seemed to work okay.

I got my bio spira this past weekend from bernie and he told me to just put what was unused in the fridge and it would be good for about 6 months later. all i needed was enough for my 10 gallon. so i just folded the top down and put in a small seal tight bowl for future use.

Marineland has determined that BioSpira does not necessarily need to be refrigerated, but that a stable temperature is the key to keeping it viable. Most retailers will continue to refrigerate it, since it stays a stable temp that way. I have folded the top over after opening and clipped it shut like Madame_X and used the rest later, like you plan on doing, and had no problems.

Hi Catalina and everyone,
I bought a 1 oz. packet in late July, and I still have it in the frig. I taped it shut and then rolled it down once and clipped it with a paper clip. The bacteria is great for the fish, but I didn't want it getting out into the frig, so I tried to close the top tightly. I have used it 2 or 3 times since then, and it has still taken care of my small ammonia spikes.

I will be using it this weekend again. My betta hasn't been in the tank for about 10 days, and the ammonia in the tank is between 0 and .25. He is in a critter keeper getting medicine. I called the lfs I got the bio-spira from and they said it should still be good, and I should keep it until around Christmas because it will still be ok. So in a few more days I'm going to put the betta back in the tank and add about 1/4 teaspoon of the bio-spira.

So, I agree with everyone else that you can keep it in the frig after it's opened, and it will still be ok. Good thing, because it is rather expensive for such a small packet!

Thank you so much everyone! Hopefully all goes okay with the new fish this weekend. I'll be sure to keep you updated (and I'm sure I'll NEED to keep you updated with all the new questions that may arise).

That's interesting about Marineland's discovery, TankGirl. My BioSpira is definitely being kept at a cooler refridgeration then it was at the LFS, I hope this didn't cause it too die off.

Back
Top Bottom