Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Storing media?

After 8 long weeks, I have finally cycled

Which got me wondering this morning that I would haaaaaaaate to have to go through this again if something ever happened in the tank and I had to start from scratch.

Then I got to thinking (rare in itself 8O ) whether it's possible to store either some gravel with a bit of water, or some old media with a little water, and then freezing it for use much later down the track - to seed a new tank or to kick start an old one.

Sort of along the lines of how Bio-Spira works (which iasn't available here)

Is this feasible, and could the established bacteria survive a freezing, and then thawing out?

It seems to make sense in theory.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #2

i would think that freezing would kill the beneficial bacteria that you are trying to save. i could be wrong tho.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nzpv03
from what i understand you're not supposed to freeze bio-spira...so maybe refridgerate?? not sure!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #4

im gonna try it. im gonna break out my mr. wizard microscope and freeze a sample of media, then take a look for myself. ive been wondering what this bacteria looks like anyways.

edit part:
i know that when water freezes crystals form and would most likely rupture the cell walls of the bacteria, but we will see.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
If you're going to do that catfishface, try refrigerating it for a week or so as well. That would be the true test.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Best solution is MTS - multiple tanks ! this way you'll always have some established media somewhere

I actually cut an extra piece of filter floss and put it inside each of my filters so that if I ever lost my biofilter I'd have some established media ready to go.

Let us know if the experiment works - it's certainly worth a try.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishface
im gonna try it. im gonna break out my mr. wizard microscope and freeze a sample of media, then take a look for myself. ive been wondering what this bacteria looks like anyways.

edit part:
i know that when water freezes crystals form and would most likely rupture the cell walls of the bacteria, but we will see.
This will be interesting.

I look forward to the results.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRagg
If you're going to do that catfishface, try refrigerating it for a week or so as well. That would be the true test.
ok, it goes in the fridge today. ill give it a shot and post the results.

edit part:

i took a peek to see what to watch for. at 400x with no dye, i saw one critter that spins in circles, other smaller ones that seem to dislike light and run, and worm-like creatures with cilia within the fibers that seem to get uspset when light is focused on them. at higher powers i didnt see much.

under red dye i saw skinny whip like deals whipping away and what appeared to be single cell organisms that avoid light. im not a biologist so i doubt if i was looking at any actual 'bacteria' since this might take better magnification, but i can go to 1200. now one sample will go in the freezer and another in the fridge for a week and we will see what is alive at the end.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nzpv03
That's pretty cool! Keep us all updated!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
freezing wouldn't beae good idea, if you did have to do it agian, you might be able to use something like stress zyme, I've used it before and it works pretty good

Tags
media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com