Strange behavior, but maybe not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am not as technically capable regarding my tank as most here. Have had my 3 goldfish for a few years. When I upgraded to a 20 gal tank, personality changes took place. One become a bully, one changed from gold to white and one became an recluse. Switched from gravel to sand substrate, hooked up with great new fish store and they check my water weekly. I also do a 25% water change weekly.

Bully is no longer a bully! Whitey is still white. The recluse still goes and sits in the corners! What is new is that the other two are joining it at times. It seems healthy at feeding time and goes after all it can. Then back to the corners. Have a photo, thought I attached it! Wait...I did. Very grainy!

I know other creatures are aware when one of their own is sick and will 'support' it. Could that be happening here? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 46
I'm not sure about the behavior change but you may want to look into proper goldfish care. 20 gallons is way too small for three goldfish. And 25% water changes weekly are not enough given the amount of waste they produce unless you have amazing filtration on the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Size and filters

Was afraid of the size issue. I do have a Fluval U1 and a Fluval U2 going full time.

New atmosphere will create changes in many things. Fish included. That fact that this happened when you upgraded tank size indicates to me that the "bully" is indeed that and trying to establish a hierarchy in the group.

If also have to agree that a 20 is barely enough for 1 and extremely cramped for 3. Even with the most incredible filtration, 25% WC's are on the light side for those poop factories. For the LFS to test your water weekly is a great thing but unless they're using liquid test kits, I would throw lots of caution to the wind. They're fairly unreliable in comparison. It's a better chance they're only using the test strips since the overall cost is minimal to them.

My recommendation (although having them for a few years already) would be either a much larger tank or rehoming them sooner than later. It would give them a much better quality of life if the stunting hasn't gravely affected them already.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom