Strange Betta Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I have a 55 gallon tank with black skirt tetras, guppies, mollies, gold barbs, rasboras, bloodfin tetras, cories and a gourami.

I also have a betta. I was warned all over the place that he isn't compatible with the other fish, but I had to get rid of the 5 gallon he was in. I had him in a breeder net in the 55 gallon for a little while while I was figuring out what to do with him.

Well, sometime yesterday he got out and into the main tank. I found him this morning swimming among the other fish. His fins are perfect, and he has not been nipped. Neither has my male guppy or gourami. He is happily swimming among the other fish and they are ignoring him. There is absolutely no chasing or nipping going on. I have been watching them for twenty minutes. I tried to catch him a few times but he keeps going off and hiding. There are a million hiding places in the tank so its hard to catch any one fish.

Anyway, I can't figure it out, but the fish are getting along just fine!

Can I just leave him? What do you think? Maybe because the tank is so large and there are so many caves and things the fish arne't stressed with each other? This really has me surprised.

Leave him in there and see how it goes! :) If he gets along with the other fish, awesome! I am not sure how you are going to feed him, but I am sure you will figure it out. ;)

I'd suggest moving him away from the other fish, possibly rehoming him since you're not able to keep the 5 gallon anymore. IME bettas are easily stressed by fast moving tank mates, and as rather clumsy swimmers they are easily outcompeted for food. Also, your stock list has several species that are known fin nippers... I'm guessing the betta may do ok for a while, but eventually his fins will be too tempting for his nippy tankmates.

I've got bettas in with rainbows and the don't seem to be bothered when the rainbows dash around the tank. I'd leave the betta in the tank for a few days and see how he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom