Strange bug!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is harmful to my fish!? It is swimming around in my tank!?

It shimmied through the water and has three tail like spikes from it's back end!?

image-2702810793.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality finally caught it on cam in poor lit corner!

Looks like a dragonfly or damselfly nymph. It is harmful to fry and smaller fish.

Hard to say from the picture, but I agree with the fact that it is an insect. Sorry, but it is not a bug ;). Bugs are in the order heminoptera and include insects such as water striders and water boatmen. Nor is it a dragonfly nymph as they lack the tail filaments or gills. I tend to agree with the damselfly ID (order odonata) as being the more likely, although it could also be a mayfly (order ephimoptera). If its a damselfly, than as stated it could be an issue with small fish or fry. If its a mayfly, than there is no issue as they are herbivores. Cheers.

Looks like a damselfly nymph to me. Whatever it is, pulling it out is the best way to solve the problem ;)

--Adeeb

Here I caught a picture of it again dead centre near the red on my plant. Will it have been introduced to my tank through plants from my LFS? I have a closed top!

image-1487283629.jpg

You recommend killing it then, as I have a lot of fry in my tank!

All comments much appreciate thanks for the response everyone!

To most people who don't teach science classes, it's a bug. ;)

Yes, I would remove it from the tank. It probably came in with your plants.

Wy Renegade said:
Hard to say from the picture, but I agree with the fact that it is an insect. Sorry, but it is not a bug ;). Bugs are in the order heminoptera and include insects such as water striders and water boatmen. Nor is it a dragonfly nymph as they lack the tail filaments or gills. I tend to agree with the damselfly ID (order odonata) as being the more likely, although it could also be a mayfly (order ephimoptera). If its a damselfly, than as stated it could be an issue with small fish or fry. If its a mayfly, than there is no issue as they are herbivores. Cheers.

Ok... I get knowing the fish lexicon... But bug latin? Thats it, i'm going to the library! Heh

Ok I will do that next time I find it, I wonder how long it has lived in my tank and what it has lived on!? I shudder to think it could have been preying on my fry!

And yeh, I knew the technical term wouldn't be bug or creature, just had to grab attention somehow! Do you think it will be a one off, and with it not being developed it couldn't have spawned, etc.

Last one for anyone interested I zoomed the pic in

image-4111250705.jpg

To most people who don't teach science classes, it's a bug. ;)

Yes, I would remove it from the tank. It probably came in with your plants.

While I get that, correcting the improper use for me is the same impulse that you would have if some one referred to a convict cichlid as an African. Please understand, not trying to be rude or mean.

Ok... I get knowing the fish lexicon... But bug latin? Thats it, i'm going to the library! Heh

Sorry, he he, but it happens to be one of those things I cover extensively in my aquatic class, and I'm in the habit of gently correcting any misusage that occurs when referring to the critters in the bog, so its kind of second nature (is misusage a word or did I just make that up ~ oh well, grammer nor spelling never was my strength, guess thats why I teach science LOL). Why bother going to the library, just ask and I can probably help you out with at least the order name of anything thats aquatic in nature - lots of useless info rattling around in this old brain. With the bog tank, use of the order names pretty much becomes second nature in my classroom.

Ok I will do that next time I find it, I wonder how long it has lived in my tank and what it has lived on!? I shudder to think it could have been preying on my fry!

And yeh, I knew the technical term wouldn't be bug or creature, just had to grab attention somehow! Do you think it will be a one off, and with it not being developed it couldn't have spawned, etc.

Last one for anyone interested I zoomed the pic in

Its obvious from that last zoom in that it is definitely a damselfly, and I would remove it (of course, I'd put it in its own tank, but that is just me and I'm a little eccentric as you can no doubt tell by my tank). I doubt that its been eating your fry, unless it is quite large; there general food source is microorganisms (like daphnia and copepods) or other small invertes. I have two that are at least 1 1/2" in my bog tank, and they've never bothered any of the fish yet.

As for it having spawned, impossible as they only reproduce as adults, and what you have is the nymph stage. It is possible however that you may have gotten more than one with your plants, so keep a sharp eye out.

Hope that is helpful, and again to everyone, please understand I wasn't trying to be rude towards anyone.

Thanks for that, greatly appreciated and puts my mind at rest... And I didn't think it could possibly have spawned really, was more thinking along the lines of siblings! just put it in there incase!

I can't put it in any other tank, but since it is against my nature to just kill it, if I stuck it in a pond would it stand a better chance than flung out in the garden!? Or would that be in vain?

Thanks for that, greatly appreciated and puts my mind at rest... And I didn't think it could possibly have spawned really, was more thinking along the lines of siblings! just put it in there incase!

I can't put it in any other tank, but since it is against my nature to just kill it, if I stuck it in a pond would it stand a better chance than flung out in the garden!? Or would that be in vain?

Nope, a pond would absolutely be the right answer. That is were they are normally found in nature.

Back
Top Bottom