Strange Guppy death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had three guppies(2 female 1 male) in a 20 gal tank along with 5 neon tetras. The two females seemed to be pregnant due to large stomachs and the black spots near the back. I noticed that the females were breathing heavily near the ground and later found them dead. The other fish are all alive and are swimming happily. The ammonia is 0 and the ph is normal. Anyone have the same problem or know what could of happened?

My one friend told me my temp is too high, it's at 78 he says to put it at 72. Does that seem like a reason?

I do not agree with your friend. 78 is not too hot for guppies.
How long have you had the guppies before they died? Did anything in the tank change? Are the other fish doing ok? How far apart were the deaths?

3 -4 weeks and all the fish are fine and they died the same day I would say maybe 8 hour difference?

Well, it is quite possible that you just simply got a bad batch of fish. With livebearers especially, it is very common for the fish to not be all that healthy when you get them. They tend to be overbred and may not have the strongest genetics to begin with, and then shipping and transportation can be tough on them in addition to expose to any diseases that the store might have had in their tanks. So, sometimes once you get them, they just die within a few weeks to a few months. It is possible that your fish just came from a bad batch and their deaths being so close was coincidence.
Other than that, what do you feed them? Did you feed them like normal? Any fish with clamped fins or gasping? How do you do frequent pwc to keep nitrates in check as well as the ammonia? Any random temperature spikes or newer additions or anything like that?
No matter the reason they died though, make sure to keep up on pwc, especially after fish die to make sure there is no ammonia spike.

Well, it is quite possible that you just simply got a bad batch of fish. With livebearers especially, it is very common for the fish to not be all that healthy when you get them. They tend to be overbred and may not have the strongest genetics to begin with, and then shipping and transportation can be tough on them in addition to expose to any diseases that the store might have had in their tanks. So, sometimes once you get them, they just die within a few weeks to a few months. It is possible that your fish just came from a bad batch and their deaths being so close was coincidence.
Other than that, what do you feed them? Did you feed them like normal? Any fish with clamped fins or gasping? How do you do frequent pwc to keep nitrates in check as well as the ammonia? Any random temperature spikes or newer additions or anything like that?
No matter the reason they died though, make sure to keep up on pwc, especially after fish die to make sure there is no ammonia spike.

I feed them tropical flakes, and the two females were the ones on the floor taking deep breaths and everything temp and chemical wise stayed the same.what I think it could be was swim bladder disease or just a bad batch. It's been about a week now and my 5 tetras are still doing good and swimming around as usual.

Back
Top Bottom