strange little snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had some hitch hiking pond snails come in on some of my live plants. Dkpate told me to watch how much I feed the tank and that did the trick. The snail population is under control and what few are there are cleaning the glass!

I keep reading posts from people claiming that ghost shrimp will kill off pond snails also. Since I already have ghost shrimp, that would be great for me, but can anyone confirm or deny?

I have seen one of my Ghost shrimp munchin' on a snail -- whether it was already dead or the shrimp killed it I don't know.

if you still have this problem get a 1 or 2, 2-3"clown loaches with in a week problem solved you will never have snails as long as the loaches are in the tank they are a cool addition to the bottom of your tank and work well as a clean up crew for any left over food

I'd really like a clown loach but will they be ok with my current community;

9 guppies
5 adult mollies
3 Molly fry
1 swordtail
2 pitbull plecs

Also will they outgrow a 30g tank?

yes they will get along fine they are great comunity fish they are a bottom dweller but more then one is recomnended you should get them around 2-3" and they will grow to the size of the tank the jumbo ones you see in stores are usualy wild caught but in a 30gal they wont get bigger then 4" max .sinking pelets or if you feed blood worm are good ideas for bright colours and happy fish

Ok but don't ya think its cruel to stunt a fishes growth? I feed with flakes, drop pellet and blood worms so I'm fine in that respect. Can I not keep a single one then? They need to be in pairs?

nah your technicaly not stunting the growth they grow to what they can live in and are happy doing so.. they can do good on there own but in big tanks they like the company

i would take some too but he only has 6 or so im proli gona get some malay trumpets for cheep of aquabid..i did get about 30 or so common and ramshorn snails from a LFS in my area for free ask around lots dont mind givin them away

Do NOT get clown loaches. You are right about stunting their growth, the insides keep growing, and the outsides don't. A 30 gallon tank is way to small, and it's a pain to try and find a new home for a bigger fish.

iv had a small 2" loach in a 15 galon tank that has happly lived ther for 6 years now and hasnt got any bigger and doesnt show signs of illnes the colours are amazing and is very active so every one has different opinions personaly i think thats good for a fish who suposably stunted and probably unhelathy.. also if you buy small clown loaches like i did they will never get as big as wild caught ones(5"+ usualy wild cuaght or pond raised) no more then 4" in a 30-50gal tank and tend to be alot healthier idk just my personal expirence

If ya want some snails then just by some plants from my lfs, they're won't disappoint lol I've had way more than 6 but I keep slinging them in the garden everytime I spot 1.

I had some hitch hiking pond snails come in on some of my live plants. Dkpate told me to watch how much I feed the tank and that did the trick. The snail population is under control and what few are there are cleaning the glass!

I agree...I have them in both of my tanks and they've not gotten out of control. I only occasionally see one on the glass and when I do, it becomes fish food. Just don't over feed and you'll be fine!

Back
Top Bottom