Strange marks in dirt on aquarium glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RinkaNinjaGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was about to wipe down any algal/ tannin slime from the glass and I noticed weird wiggly lines in circular type patterns through the build up:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406368936.016412.jpg

It's a 25g freshwater tank reasonable planting with some surface plants, drift wood was on boil for about a day before I added it, some tannins still leaking though. Only tank occupants are a juvenile angelfish and a male neon blue dwarf gourami.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really hope nothings gotten into my tank :/ the DG is quite happy and often builds bubble nests after lights on and feeding so I don't think anythings upset them for the fish to have done that and all water parameters are normal (0 ppm) I did a 25% water change yesterday..

Please help a newbie :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like brown algae but can't really tell. Algae does that a lot though. They can grow sporadically and also have curved strips fall of or peel off. I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye out for snails though. Especially ramshorns, mts, and pond snails. If you notice a problem just grab a few assassin snails. They dont breed and it would be awful fun to watch some ninjas at work!

Just remember to supplement them! :)

So it can just fall off in the zig zag swirl pattern? I was worried there was some weird worm somewhere XD thank you :)

No problem. Just keep an eye out for snails. Little fuggers hitching rides on plants XD

Best of luck! - Raymond

Assassin snails breed very slowly but you need a male and female.

Ok, so I've found this little guy chilling in the tank XD think it came in on the sea lettuce? I was wondering what type of snail it was and if it's safe to live out its days in the tank? The only issue is that I noticed the DG was trying to eat it :S ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406581223.174812.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406581272.786426.jpg

That looks like a baby Ramshorn snail to me. He's the culprit for the squiggly lines through the algae. They're all marks from his little mouth rasping away at the algae as he moves across the glass ;)

While one Ramshorn snail is safe to keep, if you have two or more you'll likely have a booming snail population in the near future. They're unsightly, but not harmful otherwise.

Yeah baby ramshorn... They will place quite a load on your tank if you let them breed freely. I think right now is the time to higher some assassins? Or you can wait a while and let them breed so the assassins will have a larger food source.

Well I've only found that one so far and my Gourami was eating it so I removed it from the big tank. In just going to keep an eye out in case there are more but only that one so far :) thanks everyone :D

Back
Top Bottom