strange otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
well, I put in some frozen peas with my otis, but they show no interest. This is not the strange part. I was watching and watching them, hoping one would eat some pea, and the big fat one started swimming around the little one seemingly looking for food, and started to swim under it (they were both on the bottom of the tank) while the big one was doing this the little one curled its body so its tail was almost touching its head. This happened twice. It was very strange, something I have never seen them do before. Does any one know what this is? A defensive thing? A mating thing? I just have no idea.

OH my god! i think they were spawning. i mean that sounds exactly like spawning to me. i could be wrong but...
did you see any eggs maybe tiny tiny? i'll have to look them up... hmmm

that is weird. I thought I just posted a message. anyway, if it didn't post, I am trying to find stuff on that. It would be totally cool!!!

I wasn't supposed to put them in frozen?...Just kidding :D I thawed them in the micro then I squeezed them out of the skin. They pass over them take a nibble and move on. I will probably replace them with fresh with the water change today. How long should I wait to move them back to the big tank? and same question for my rasboras? I think they may be well, but I really dont want to take any chances. The qt tank is not medicated anymore, so would I be seeing any symptoms of illness if they are still sick? HAA I just noticed on my original post I said "otis" instead of otos. hehe well one of them is now named otis! :lol:

well I just went to see if I could get better picks of my otos, I cant. but I did notice the big one was munching on a pea! hooray! so please forgive the horrible quality of this picture, but if this oto has eggs, would the area be a yellowish color? you can see in the reflection that the other one does not have this yellow area under its tummy.

You can also try a small piece of cucumber sliced length wise....(leave skin on, don't need to nuke it) If you find a way to anchor/lodge the cucumber and leave it in the tank a day or two...the otos will eat it. Once they figure out how yummy it is, they will go right over to it in the future. I find they like it best if it's not floating around.... :roll:

HTH :)

i have tried cucumber. They like it a bit. I actually found a great way to keep it anchored. I took a round slice and poked the short end of a bendy straw through the middle, and buried the long end with the short end bent and sticking out of the gravel.

lets just say, that the fat oto is a girl and the other a boy, is there any way to uh, encourage them...

Back
Top Bottom