Strange Pearl Gourami Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 3 pearl gouramis, 2 females and 1 male. For the last week one of the females has been pointing vertically towards the top of the water close to the surface. At first I thought she was dying, but whenever I come near her she straightens up to her normal swimming pattern. However, as soon as I walk away she resumes her vertical swimming position. Sometimes she almost swims at a 90 degree angle and at other times it's a 45 degree angle. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I've the trio for about a year.

Yeah, it's been normal.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate ~ 20

Does she seem uncomfortable? Since all else is good, I wouldn't worry too much unless she actually can't swim right. Not sure if pearls are particularly sensitive to nitrates, but maybe get them down around 10 and see what happens.

It's really hard to tell if she is uncomfortable or not. It's a fairly well planted tank so I don't even think the nitrates are 20 it's just hard to tell from the test.

This behavior has been going on for about 17 days now. I could really use some advice or feedback on this vertical swimming behavior. It appears that it is difficult for her to not swim in the vertical position at the surface. I think she is doing it to ease some sort of discomfort. I gave her a 15 minute bath in epsom salt last night. Should I continue to do the epsom salt baths?

Back
Top Bottom