Strange Pictus cat behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Necronius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a Pictus cat yesterday morning (Fist one I have owned) and shortly after I placed him in the tank, he swam over to the area of my aquarium under the filter return, and has been swimming vertically in the current ever since. Hes been doing this almost non stop since he was placed in the tank, and he will not eat. I was just wondering what could be causing this. Someone on another board said they thought he was lonely, but it seems odd that he wouldn't just hide if he didn't like being alone.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

He's trying to get upstream!

If you've only had him for one day, he's getting adjusted to the tank. My cat fish(Spotted Raphael) spent the first two days swimming from one side of the tank to the other. Then, he got used to it and hid. Now he only comes out at night.

A lot of fish will play in the stream from the filter. This is normal. Also, a fish new to a tank may not eat for a few days. This is also normal. If he hasn't eaten in a week, you should worry.

Thank you very much. he had me worried. I am a sport fisherman, so I knew catfish liked current, but I was worried about him not eating. I'm new to aquarium keeping, so theres alot of things I'm unaware of.

Thanks again

Oh yeah? Do they have good fishing streams in Pennsylvania? In Illinois, we have awesome fishing! We have catfish that get huge!

I live near the Monongahela river, and there is a lock about 5 minutes from my house. I havent fished there in years (people abused it so they banned people from fishing near it) but there use to be some big cats on the downstream side of the lock.

I believe my catfish will be dead before tomarrow morning. he is becoming more and more sluggish, and the current occasionally flips him. There doesnt appear to be a problem with him as far as an infection or parasite. I guess I'll find out tomarrow

Check your water parameters! What's your ammonia/nitrites? Chances are, if they're off, thats what your pictus is suffering from. Also, how did you acclimate him? If he went into the tank without being acclimated to the tank water chemistry, that too could be the problem.

I know my rubbernose did a similar thing, except he went round and round the tank close to the glass, like he was trying to start a whirlpool, and kept that up for days. I was sure he would not make it, but he finally calmed down and now does the usual glass cleaning and hiding in the driftwood. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom