Strange pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FuzzyRag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pleco, that seems to enjoy floating upside down at the top of the tank. When I poke him with the net he swims back down and everything is normal. Is he sleeping, or just weird?

Is he getting enough to eat? I had one that would do that to eat flake food. Maybe it's searching for something to eat.

LOL that is weird My pleco likes to make sudden mad dashes to the surface to splash water outta the tank and then goes back to the bottom. I think he likes watching me fuss while I wipe up. LOL Maybe since plecos are a type of catfish yours has got a little of some upsidedown catfish in him. hee hee All I can think of especially if he acts normal otherwise.

nope this is normal, a well took care of and happy pleco will graze the water for fish flakes, sometimes just for fun, every pleco I ever owned ould do it right after eating 2- 3 algea wafers, like a little routine lol

Thanks for the help, I thought the little guy was a freak or something. On a side note, this my first time posting on these boards =)

Yes welcome to AA! I haven't had any of my plecos do that but it sounds like it would be cool to see. Guess my plecos, like myself, aren't normal. :lol:

This is my upside down pleco that I asked about before...anyone able to tell me what type of pleco he is by chance? I also have another catfish I'm trying to identify in my tank (I bought the tank used, owner has no idea about the specifics of the fish).

img_633953_0_3b3569662d2de860a5087795c52d3cd6.jpg

img_633953_1_43fe817a9da609ae068e090d7170b0ed.jpg

He just floats like that, even when algae biscuits thrown in. When I poke him with a net he turns right side up and just swims over to a wall or a rock and attaches on there. Then I come back about 5 - 10 later and notice he's floating back like that again, almost like he's asleep.

well, on a side note, any idea what type of pleco he is, or need a better pic? :)

Brothers, seperated at birth, their mother was a good pleco and the father was a ne'r do well Upside-down catfish.

FuzzyRag said:
This is my upside down pleco that I asked about before...anyone able to tell me what type of pleco he is by chance? I also have another catfish I'm trying to identify in my tank (I bought the tank used, owner has no idea about the specifics of the fish).

The pleco looks like a common to me, might not be though.

The cat is a type of pim (same genus as the pictus cats): http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pimelodi/pimelodu/653_F.PHP

shoot....guess I need to take down the garlic I hung around the tank now. :lol:

Many thanks for the new website as a resource, and thanks for help identifying them as well

Back
Top Bottom