Strange smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I smelled my goldfish tank recently, and it smells like algae. I cannot see any vegetation and I was wondering why it smells like it does. My fish seem happy and are not displaying any strange behavior.

I have a 3gal with 3 feeders in it. I am running AC and just replaced it today.

A healthy tank should smell a bit like freshly turned earth - and it shouldn't be too noticeable (i.e. you shouldn't be able to smell it from several feet away).

What are your water params? How often do you do water changes and gravel vacs? Goldies are especially messy fish that require more frequent maintenance. Also, 3 gal is too small for 3 messy fish like feeder goldies - even if they're small. Will you be moving them to a bigger tank, or are they destined to be someone's meal?

I keep them as pets. I moved them from a ten gallon that I am now using as a QT for saltwater. It isn't noticeable from more than 6 in away, and I do maintenance every other weekend, including small water changes and gravel vac. Parameters are good (I used my saltwater tests, and don't know if that works). I did not have plans to upgrade the tank, I can either get rid of a fish or update the tank. I really don't know where I could put another tank.

BTW freshly turned earth is a perfect description of the smell.

goldies take a lot of work they need huge water changes (weekly) and alot of room i have a large tank and it only has five gold fish and i am way overstocked.
upgrade if possible

I had two feeder goldies as pets in my 29 and they are outgrowing it

You definatly need to do more water changes more frequently, feed them once a day and try and buy a bigger thank

Back
Top Bottom