Strangest thing I have seen since getting my 1st tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 55 gal has been neglected as of late due to not wanting to loose any baby snails, and I have been ill (dang flu bug), any way today I decided to go ahead and do a water change. i useually just throw the hose on the porch and go at it but since the snails are so small I thought they might get sucked up into the hose so I tried ally's idea about the 5 gal bucket and just let it overflow. Cool all went well got to about 50% and pulled the hose, drained it as I walked outside and started to dump the bucket.

Well I looked down and there was a betta swimming in my bucket I thought I had lost my mind she's about 1.75 inches and I thought there is now way she got through that hose but she did. :roll: Wonder how many other fish Ihave lost to the long tube of death?

Moral of the story is I will always use a bucket from now on.

BTW, she is fine, a little shook up but seemed to tkae right back into the herd :D .

I mean she went through 20 ft of hose, the siphon pump and all. Looked kinda happy to see me. swam right into my hand and stayed there until I got her back in the main tank.

What a trip! I would not have thought it possible, since small plant leaves get stuck in the valve portion of my syphon. That is quite a story!

I had a platy fry take a trip throught he hose but I didn't even know it was there and it was very small.

I even called my daughter to make sure she haddent tried a "little prank" on me. Nope it's true, I still have all my betta's and no more than I am supposed to. It is a wild trip but how many have you found under a rock? or something like that? one she hit the hose it was easy, the water current carried her all the way to the bucket.

LOL Looks like someone wanted to see the outside world. They say curiosity killed the cat, but I guess curiosity sends fish for long rides ;)

Wanna bet she didn't learn and does it again? Good thing you used the bucket!

Wanna bet she didn't learn and does it again? Good thing you used the bucket!

Nope won't happen again. decided to put a screen over the end where the intake is. Might be a little harder to clean crap out of the tank but that's bettere than loosing my fish :D .

Oh, BTW Alli, I did find the killer in my betta tank, My wife bought 10 betta's last week and I still have all 10. So it was the dalmation mollies all the time. But that's ok, they seem happy swimming with the tetra's.

justmy2cents said:
I even called my daughter to make sure she haddent tried a "little prank" on me. Nope it's true, I still have all my betta's and no more than I am supposed to. It is a wild trip but how many have you found under a rock? or something like that? one she hit the hose it was easy, the water current carried her all the way to the bucket.

speaking of WEIRDEST THINGS EVER, the other day i was looking into the tunnel where my kuhli loaches hang out, and i noticed one of my TETRAS under rocks next to the tunnel! it was moving his mouth but he wasn't moving! i was scared he was sick/dying/SOMETHING. i went in the other room while my boyfriend unearthed it because i didn't want to see him struggling but he just got out and swam back to the rest of the school! he looked stuck.. i had NO idea how he had gotten there and now he is just FINE!! has that ever happened to anyone? he must have just shimmied in there or SOMETHING....?? i have NO CLUE.

Yea it seems our little friends can do some interesting tricks. Just when I've about gotten used to seeing the betta's floating upside down in the plants :roll: . You don't know how many times I have paniced and fished out a sleeping betta (do they get mad?). :)

Well, an update. "houdini" that's her name now :D . is still swimming around with no problems. The only mark I can find is right in front of her top fin she is scraped up a little, she's a red betta and that spot looks like someone has hit her with a fish scaler :lol: .

Back
Top Bottom