Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Stressed Guppy?

I currently have 2 fancy guppies (1 male 1 female) and a Juli Catfish for about a month (and lotsss of guppy fry). Today I added 3 Harlequin Rasboras. All fish were bought from the same place, a local fish store.

Immediately after adding the Rasboras, I noticed both my guppies seem a bit stressed, but I'm not 100% sure. The male seems jumpy while the female just looks off. Should I expect them to calm down in a little while after they get used to the Rasboras? If not, please give advice.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They should calm down and be fine with each other. How big is tank?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
They should calm down and be fine with each other. How big is tank?
Ahh I hope so. My tank is 10 gallons, but I do have a 30 as well. The 2 angelfish in there are fairly small at the moment, maybe about an inch or so.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:18 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah my guppies from auction hid for a few days and now just cruise around over the 4ft. First big water change and plant cleanout freaked them out though
Old 10-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Yeah my guppies from auction hid for a few days and now just cruise around over the 4ft. First big water change and plant cleanout freaked them out though
After waking up this morning and doing a quick headcount, everyone seems to have relaxed. I guess after losing an entire tank of glofish due to inexperience and a franchise pet shop selling me w/o warning, Iíve convinced myself every little thing I do is going to result in hurting my fish. I need to calm down.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #6

Update: I think I've found the source of the problem. A couple nights ago I replaced my small airstone with one of those treasure tank bubblers. it seems like the opening and closing of the tank was creating waves unpleasant for the small fish. I adjusted the air flow so the bubbles would come out less, so there is still surface movement without so much movement underwater. All the fish seem calmer and the Rasboras are grouping again. (I had noticed the smallest of the 3 hiding in a corner up until I adjusted the air flow)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds great! All ok now?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #8

For the most part. One of my rasboras were hiding this morning.. it took 3 people and 10 minutes to find him. Another question: are Rasboras nocturnal or something? They always seem to be hiding when the tank lights are on.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not mine but I kept at least 6 or 8. Small groups of 3 or 5 can get stressed sometimes. Bigger the group the more outgoing Ime

Tags
guppy, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com