strip test kits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am just wondering if anyone uses the strip test kits. Are they any good? I am all for easy maintence! :) Would it be a good way to do semi-regular checks with a back up of a better test kit if the strip shows a problem or a problem is suspected?

Thanks,
Kimberly
58 gal planted aquarium
8 orange von rio tetras
3 clown loaches

Test strips are not as accurate as the others. I have heard of cases where someone had been showing ammonia levels of 4 ppm on the test strips for 3 weeks. Then they switched to the liquid and found that the level was actually 0. This may have been an extreme case, but the Master Test Kits are far more accurate. They are actually really easy to use. They may look intimidating with the vials and bottles and the 20 page 6 language instruction booklet. But after you use it a couple times, its simple. in fact, I tossed the booklet ages ago.

An added bonus is that the Aquarium Pharmacuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit is actually VERY much cheaper than the strips. The AP kit has about 700 uses for $13. A bottle of 20 test strips (last time I checked) was $15. But most lfs sell the AP kit for upwards of $40. If you buy from www.bigalsonline.com it's $12.99 plus $6.95 shipping.

Also- After you cycle the tank, the only thing you need to test for on a regular basis would be Nitrates and pH. I say pH because sometimes strange things happen and it starts to fluctuate. This way you can catch it before it falls too low. I test my tanks on a weekly basis for Nitrates and pH. The other tests I don't use unless I just added a couple fish to the tank or changed filter pads. Just to monitor in case of a mini-cycle.

I for one used to test the water a LOT more often when all I had to do was dip the strip instead of "add 10 drops of bottle 1, shake bottle 2 for 30 sec, add 10 drops of bottle 3, shake for 1 minute, wait 5 minutes...."

Its not hard to do the reagents and they are definitely more accurate, but take a whole lot longer to do -leaving me less likely to test at all.

I am in favor of your idea of using the test strips as a warning, but not the final say.

I run reagent (liquid) tests for PH, GH, KH, NH3, NO2 and NO3, on three tanks in twenty (20) minutes...
Twenty (20) minutes to have accurate & reliable test done on all my tanks.

Ok, hospitals rely an dipstick test strips as a preliminary test for urine and consider them accurate. We usually do the dipstick tests in the ER and then send the Urine to the Lab for a complete urinalysis, but if we notice something in teh urine indicitive of an infection, the Doctor then knows to go ahead and order the necessary medication for a Urinary Tract infection. Of course he then reviews the complete test when it comes back.

I say, if dipsticks are good enough for hospitals, then they are definetly good enough for an aquarium. I would use the Dipsticks weekly, and do a monthly test with your Mast Test kit. I think its an excellent way to keep up with your tank parameters, and my dipsticks always test exactly the same as my Master kit.
I like to use the test strips on a weekly basis, but i do a complete reagent test with my Master Test kit at least every month, and if i notice any tests don't look normal,then i test it with my Master Kit to make sure. Ive never had a problem.

The test strips are something like 15X more expensive than the reagent tests. And I'm with you Chile. When I test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH on all 4 of my tanks, it takes me about 10 minutes. I have enough test vials for all of the tanks to have their own set of vials. I fill up the water, then do all of the nitrate tests, then Nitrite, then Ammonia, then pH. That part takes about 5 minutes to do when you do it in repitition like that. Then the 5 minutes to wait for the results. That's just about the time that it takes to check the pH results (which are instant), clean those vials and put them back in their tray, and record the pH results.

Not too long ago a fellow AA member was talking about how their tank was not cycling and it had been something like 2 to 3 months since setting it up. They were showing large amounts of ammonia, small Nitrites, and normal Nitrates. They then bought a Master test kit and found out that the tank was completly cycled with something like 10 Nitrates. Personally, I never found them as accurate. I used to freak out all the time because I would show Ammonia and Nitrites all the time. Then came along the AP kit.

I am just saying, i have both and they always give me the exact same readings if i do a dipstick tests and a reagent tests at the same time. For the dipsticks, you ahve to follow the directions exactly. For mine, you are not supposed to leave them in the water, adn you aren't supposed to touch them, you are suppose to dip them and lay them flat and then read them (don't shake the water off) at least thats with the ones i have. If you follow directions, i have always got accurate readings.

I actually like doing the drop test with the test tubes because i think its fun. but sometimes when im in a hurry a quick dip will at least give me an idea of how my tank is doing.

I also enjoy doing the reagent tests. I have a couple water droppers and I sit there with a cup full of water and pull water out and squirt it into the vial. When I have time to kill I'll take my time and do each tank at a time. I feel all scientific.

I have been wondering about this for a while. I like the idea to use the test strip to catch any anomaly and if I get a bad reading then I use the reagents. I'm a renegade chemical engineer (working in Marketing!!!), so I really don't mind doing the tests neither I "feel all scientific" like fishfanatic :D .

But I have a problem with the strips because they always read NO3=40. I don't like it, I feel it is too high, and then I run the reagent test, which, most times, reads only 10!

I ALWAYS end up running both. Hence this is the last time I make an investment in test strips. CDN$37!!!!!!

Just my 2 Canadian cents! :lol:

Fishyfanatic said:
I feel all scientific.

So true! Actually, to me, it is somewhat therapeutic after a long stressful day at work because it requires no more skill than counting drops. Of course, it may be that I'm just weird. :roll:

Fishyfanatic and Big C both have a point, though. If you compare the tests per package, the reagent tests are much more economical.

I'm still using some of the kits which I purchased back in October of 2004. I test both my tanks once a week, almost obsessively. I just grab my test tubes (I don't need the color charts anymore...LOL). Two cups of my aquarium water, droppers and my "mad scientist" T-shirt and start doing my thing.

Yes, I do hate shaking 30 secs and then shaking 1 min, which is why I leave the NO3 test for last. But the NO2 test is sooo easy. (y)

Kids: "Dad's at it again".
Wife: "What, that mad scientist bit"?
Kids: "Yeah...he looks deranged".
Wife: "Well, maybe he does, but look at the results!"

*actual conversation*

Back
Top Bottom