Striped peacock eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys...I ordered my stripped peacock eel today so fingers crossed that it actually comes in!!! Im super excited! I have questions about feeding the new addition though. I've read that the mainly eat bloodworms so I looked into getting some, but which is better...freeze dried or frozen and how do I go about feeding just the eel these worms. My fish seem to be pigs and eat anything you put in the tank so how can I keep them from eating the bloodworms so I know the eel is getting them. Thanks in advance!!

Go frozen bloodworm cubes. Mine comes right into my hand to eat, so he gets them all if i let him. But some peoples eels arent as awesome;)

If yours is hiding or shy, use a turkey baster. Put some tank water in a cup. Add the worm cube to it and let all the worms separate into the water. Suck that up with the baster and squirt it at your eel!

Mine doesn't eat blood worms. I have piggy angels...
What I do, and advise you to do also (if the eel is big enough) is to feed live worms. I give mine giant red worms sold by my lfs, he's the only one interested in them. I feed him 1 every other day and he's getting pretty big.

Ok so I'll get some frozen bloodworms! As for the live worms... I don't think so! I'm a girl can't touch a worm lol! My next question is how often should I feed the eel? I don't want to overfeed it and have worms floating in the tank, although I'm sure the other piggies will eat them! :)

Carolinagirl said:
Ok so I'll get some frozen bloodworms! As for the live worms... I don't think so! I'm a girl can't touch a worm lol! My next question is how often should I feed the eel? I don't want to overfeed it and have worms floating in the tank, although I'm sure the other piggies will eat them! :)

Lol!

I do bloodworms 2 times a week-tuesday and friday.

Ithink that should keep your eel happy

Hey guys, got my eel today and I love it!! I was a bit worried that I was gonna let him out the bag and he would immediately bury himself in the sand, but not the case at all! He hasn't hidden one time!! I did get the frozen bloodworms and tried to feed him some tonight after feeding my other piggys, but he didn't seem to be hungry. Maybe the fish store already fed him. So glad I got the info from you guys and made the decision to get him! Heres a pic...

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 74
Ok my eel people...another question! I have tried feeding my new guy the frozen bloodworms (and yes they were thawed first lol) and he doesn't seem to want to take them. There was one by a rock at the bottom of the tank and he poked at it then turned the other way and went about his business. Is he just not hungry or could he possibly be eating the flakes I put in for the other fish? I don't want him to starve to death!!

Carolinagirl said:
Ok my eel people...another question! I have tried feeding my new guy the frozen bloodworms (and yes they were thawed first lol) and he doesn't seem to want to take them. There was one by a rock at the bottom of the tank and he poked at it then turned the other way and went about his business. Is he just not hungry or could he possibly be eating the flakes I put in for the other fish? I don't want him to starve to death!!

Do you feed your eel at night, or before your lights are off? Peacock eels are semi nocturnal and like to eat in darkness!

I think it is simply a matter of him not being used to the tank. He might feel uncomfortable still, which is natural.

Try experimenting with other foods, shrimps, and pellets. See if anything else works better.

I highy doubt he is eating flakes--peacock eels are carnivores and arent interested in that kind of food

Okie Dokie! I've been sitting here watching him and he keeps sticking his nose in the gravel like he's searching for food, but I know by now the other fish have eaten all the worms! Pigs! I even fed them before trying to feed the eel. I'll try giving another dose of worms before turning the lights out tonight and see what happens. Otherwise another trip to the pet store! Yay an excuse to go shopping!! I have to say GBoy, there's no need to send the $10 back cause he hasn't buried himself once lol!! He swims all over the tank.

Carolinagirl said:
Okie Dokie! I've been sitting here watching him and he keeps sticking his nose in the gravel like he's searching for food, but I know by now the other fish have eaten all the worms! Pigs! I even fed them before trying to feed the eel. I'll try giving another dose of worms before turning the lights out tonight and see what happens. Otherwise another trip to the pet store! Yay an excuse to go shopping!! I have to say GBoy, there's no need to send the $10 back cause he hasn't buried himself once lol!! He swims all over the tank.

Ya, i usually put the bloodworms in, and shoo away all my other fish with my hand haha! They hate it! Then my eely get food:)

Haha good!! I need the money for me saltwater tank!! Haha:D

Yeah well I hope someone comes along with those worms so they can touch them!! I turned the lights off then put some bloodworms right in front of him and he stayed in the corner with them for a few mins...hopefully eating them!! We shall see!

Back
Top Bottom