Striped peacock eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolinagirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about stripped peacock eels that they could share with me. I have been thinking about getting one whenever the power store gets them back in and I would like to know more about them. For example, do they really spend all their time burried in the gravel or do they eventually come out to swim around. Thanks!

Leading eels are great! They grow to about 10 in. I feed my peacock eel bloodworms and sinking baby chichlid pellets. The will adjust to your tank and if the eel does burry he should come out eventually. They need plenty of ground space for swimming!

Woooohoooo!!! More eel people!

Agreed with above, actually, tropical is the guy who convinced me to get one! :)

Yes, mine pretty much only eats bloodworms, so he gets those twice a week. Mine was shy for the first week, but now will come out whenever! Mine is also VERY social. He swims through my fingers, and even tries to bite them sometimes thinking i have food lol!!
Ya, they need space but they will swim up and down too. Here is my guy nu-nu ;)

I have a 55 gal tank so he should have plenty of room! I keep thinking of giving up on the waiting for him process but I really want him! The lady I talked to at petsmart told me they constantly hide in the gravel and I didn't want to spend the money on a fish that I can't see!!!

Carolinagirl said:
I have a 55 gal tank so he should have plenty of room! I keep thinking of giving up on the waiting for him process but I really want him! The lady I talked to at petsmart told me they constantly hide in the gravel and I didn't want to spend the money on a fish that I can't see!!!

Oh ya, i got mine at petsmart too. They hide there because they arent comfortable there! Trust me, if he hides constantly for you still after several months, ill personally send the 10$ he costs over to ya lol!

Also, make sure there are no openings what-so-ever on your tank. None. They are very crafty. My first eel got stuck in the powerhead and died! It was terrible...Dont let that happen either lol:)

Oh! And if your tank is planted, the petsmart people might tell you that peacock eels will dig up plants. Well sometimes thats true and other times it isnt. Mine was really attatched to a crypt, always sitting in it and digging all around it. Well it was getting uprooted every week so i moved it to a different part of the tank. Nunu hasnt messed with it since!

Mine is about 6inches and I feed bloodworms and giant red worms he loves them. Also during the day he will come out but moreso at night.

I also heard they will starve on flakes so feed the brine shrimp, bloodworms, and it you can find them any kind of bigger worms.
I really recommend you get one they are very cool.

Make sure their are no holes in the lid! Also make sure the eel has dark caves and plenty of places to hide!!!

Here is my eel! He is not a stripped peacock eel, he's just a regular peacock eel, not from Petsmart!

Attachments

• image-1491230145.jpg
    image-1491230145.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 285
Gboy66 said:
Woooohoooo!!! More eel people!

Agreed with above, actually, tropical is the guy who convinced me to get one! :)

Yes, mine pretty much only eats bloodworms, so he gets those twice a week. Mine was shy for the first week, but now will come out whenever! Mine is also VERY social. He swims through my fingers, and even tries to bite them sometimes thinking i have food lol!!
Ya, they need space but they will swim up and down too. Here is my guy nu-nu ;)

I really like your eels colors. Any full tank shot?

Gboy66 said:
For sure! :)

There ya go again showing off! :)

You really do have an amazing tank! A lot of respect for skills.

Anyway as to not go off topic I had eels but my "crew" African Cichlid's. And may I add I probably have the must aggressive African cichlids known to man!! G could tell ya. I love those eels and one day hopefully I'll give it another shot.

Convict2161 said:
There ya go again showing off! :)

You really do have an amazing tank! A lot of respect for skills.

Anyway as to not go off topic I had eels but my "crew" African Cichlid's. And may I add I probably have the must aggressive African cichlids known to man!! G could tell ya. I love those eels and one day hopefully I'll give it another shot.

Haha man thanks, i am definitly posting too many tank shots! Lol. Thats really cool of you to say though.

Oh ya, convict's africans are monsters! They remind me of the mafia lol! He had some sick eels, but i guess they didnt pay up.

I am sure that in your community setup (i think it is one right?) youll be fine. Really the only thing that could kill them are themselves. They have a thing for suicide...;) For example, my boy went through ick and i didnt see one bit of it on him. I have no idea why. He is a strong dude, so you will be just fine. Maybe ill post a vid of him swimming through my hand and eating on youtube so you can see sometime! :)

FreshwaterTropical said:
Nice tank! The black really makes everything else pop!

Thanks! Your eel is so cool! His stripes are so bright and long!!

I used to hate eels but theyre growing on me! They are actually kinda cool now.

Gboy I bet you thought I was gonna rant about how disgusting eels were right? Lol

George9 said:
I used to hate eels but theyre growing on me! They are actually kinda cool now.

Gboy I bet you thought I was gonna rant about how disgusting eels were right? Lol

As soon as i saw those first 5 words i was about to say somthing like, "eel lovers only here!!" lol! Good to know your liking them, at least a bit more:)

Also, how big is your tank OP? Tropical correct me if im wrong, but dont the striped variety of peacock eels have larger mouths than the typical peacock eel?

Ok...answer this for me if possible.... Whats the difference between a stripped peacock eel and a regular peacock eel? Color and stripes maybe?

Carolinagirl said:
Ok...answer this for me if possible.... Whats the difference between a stripped peacock eel and a regular peacock eel? Color and stripes maybe?

Stripes, colors, and striped generallyget a little but bigger and have larger mouths

Back
Top Bottom