Striped Raphael Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll have plenty of hiding places, I'm going to be doing some pretty elaborate rockwork in this tank. :D Was just considering a raphael or two to fill out the bottom of my tank, with the pair of eels and the african brown knife fish.

Fine alone, and will not bother your eels while the cats are small....however, I would not trust a 4½"+ raph to not inhale even an adult peacock (something bigger, like a tyretrack would be safe, though).

I have 2 marbled raphael's which are very similar. They on the other hand seem to always stay out in the open. They have plenty of hiding spots they just do not use them. Excellent looking catfish though. Very primitive :twisted:

Mudfrog said:
I have 2 marbled raphael's which are very similar. They on the other hand seem to always stay out in the open.

I wish my raphael would stay out in the open. My striped did when he was smaller but now he just hides. However one night I did see my spotted swimming around. Tank lights where off and only a lamp about ten feet away was on. I was looking at the tank and all of a sudden I saw the whiskers of him coming out from behind a sword plant. At first I was like WTF IS THAT! (cause all I saw were those fricken long whiskers) then I saw his body. They are scary at night :D .

Sure the 55 is big enough for 2 eels? I'm getting a 55 as a temporary house for my fire eels til I get a 125G or 150G, which will be their permanent home.

I have peacock eels... They only get about 10-11". I've heard a few people mention keeping two in a 29, even.

Maybe not, but the people I heard it from were ones who I know to have a lot of knowledge about aquaria. Either way, I've heard 2 eels in a 55 was fine many times (from actual aquarists, not just the store and crap), and quite frankly, I asked about a catfish, not how many eels to keep in a 55.

Hrafnkel said:
quite frankly, I asked about a catfish, not how many eels to keep in a 55.

good shot.. :wink: i agree with you, i have 2 eels myself but they are on the smaller side, zig zags i think... and i have them in my 29 gal.. even though i'll be moving them to my 55 gal soon

I might not should've added the last part, but the most annoying aspect of aquarium boards is that you get a batch of people saying something will work in your tank, so you go buy them, and then you ask a completely different question and get people saying the older thing won't work, after you buy the fish.

Andos99 said:
Hrafnkel said:
I've heard a few people mention keeping two in a 29, even.

Not a bright idea. :roll:

Why not, pray tell? The smaller eels take up very little room, overall....and the conspecific issues most people claim with spineys appears to be little more than myth....I have 55s with as many as 4 small (<10") spineys, and they are beyond thriving.

Thank you. That's the same thing I'd heard before, pretty much, which is why I bought 2. In fact, mine hang out together almost constantly.

Back
Top Bottom