Strong tank current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55gal tank with 2 Orandas, 2 little telescope eyes and two very little ryukins. I noticed today that the current is too strong for my ryukins but the adjustable flow speed is turned as low down as possible. The other ones seem fine with it by my ryukins are really struggling. A couple times they went to the surface for air and got stuck on their backs. They’re very healthy (as far as I know) and im pretty sure
health issues aren’t causing the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions om what the issue may be and how to fix it? TIA

What filter set up are you running? I recently drilled out my plastic spray bar and it helped immensely. Before that the neons couldn't swim in the front or top of the tank, and sand was constantly getting displaced at the front of the tank. It was also affecting my floaters with too much surface agitation and melting the leaves. I can leave the flow on max now with no issues. Took ~5 minutes with a cordless drill and drill bit a little wider than the current holes.

If you're using a HOB, not sure what else you can do besides raising the water level up as high as possible and maybe attaching something to block the flow.

If you are running a canister filter point the power head towards the back of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom