Struggling with temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does the heater need to be placed faaaaaaaaar from the filter activity?

My tank keeps running about 80 (heater set for 76) and I turned the temp down on the heater (to 74) and now the temp reads 82!

The heater is on the back wall of the tank, which also has four ins/outs, because I run two canister filters.

I could see moving water by the heater drop the temp there, but with all that activity I'd also expect the water to be very well mixed.

Thermometer is in tank glass type, I've changed its location and it's read stays the same. Check with a digital thermometer suggests it's accurate. I've stuck it in cold water to check too. Heater is Nat Geo, a year old, mounted vertically, fully submerged.

This morning since the living room is a very steady 76 degrees from my downstairs neighbors ... I unplugged the heater, thinking the temp drop would be better than cooked fish.

I have Angels, glowlight tetras, danios, Otos ... No good reason to keep the temp higher.

What am I missing? I'm eager to open the windows again to cool the living room back to 70 ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

In my 55 gal. tank I have two heaters. The one nearest the filter is set at 74, yet that side of the tank reads 80. On the other side, I have the other heater set at 73, and it stays at 77. I know they can sometimes be a couple of degrees off, but this seems excessive to me. But yours is really off the charts!

Also, my fish room temp varies during the year. In summer, I have to set the heaters down a couple degrees, then I have to go back up when the weather cools down. I have to do this every year, but then, my room temp might be only 64 in winter, and up to 85 in summer. That plays a part. Heaters sometimes have to be tweaked here and there before you get it right. They all seem to be a little different, even within the same brand name. Does your tank get any direct sunlight? That would certainly play a role.

No direct sunlight.

The weirdest part is it got warmer after I turned it down and moved it. So either the heater is wired backward or moving it somehow skewed it more.

With the heater off the tank is still close to 80. I've always appreciated how living in an upper floor in these apartments, it's always warm (turned the heat on once this winter, usually sleep with the windows open year round to vent it down). But this is just weird.

I put the thermometer in the other tank with a heater that only sets to 78, and it says 78. So I feel like the thermometer is correct ...

80 is actually a perfect temp for the fish you have. I keep mine at 82-84 with good results. The main concern would be how any plants would handle the higher temps, but the fish do fine and it helps keep ich away.
you just need to sure there is good oxygenation and feed a little more frequently.

80 is actually a perfect temp for the fish you have. I keep mine at 82-84 with good results. The main concern would be how any plants would handle the higher temps, but the fish do fine and it helps keep ich away.
you just need to sure there is good oxygenation and feed a little more frequently.

I appreciate your sharing that. I was skeptical but looked it up and sure 'nuf. For the sake of some it seems 78 is a Better target, and definitely 80 not 82. But maybe the warmth hasn't been as bad as I thought. I questioned it most as every few weeks I lose one of the 6 original glowlight tetras, which are maybe 2.5-3 years old. I understand they're thought to live shorter lives in warm temps.

My understanding is the warmer water round the heater is closer to the inlet so it gets spread around the tank but having said that, if you have good flow around the tank it shouldn't really matter where the heater is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I prefer to have the heater where there is some water movement but as Caliban07 said, if you have good movement, it shouldn't matter where the heater is placed.
You also need to make sure your heater is efficient enough for your tank size or you'll see big fluctuations in the tanks temp as your outside (room) temp changes.

The heater says its for aquariums up to 75 gallons. Since I only need about 2 degrees over room temp and room temp is stable year round, I'm curious if a lower power heater would be better.

I would say you have either a faulty heater, or an uncalibrated one. Im not familiar with the nat geo heaters, but i know my eheim jagers can be manually calibrated.

If its kicking on at temps higher than you have it set at, theres a problem.

It says "pre calibrated to 78" but I'm not sure it's using the word correctly. I think they just mean the dial was set to 78!

I'm sure it's made by one of the other major manufacturers, wonder which it is?

Back
Top Bottom