stubburn stains..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a question guys and girls.. i just aquired a 55 gal All Glass tank,, warranty tag on it says it was made in 91 !! tank is in overall good conditioin exept for water marks?? like hard water stains you might get in your shower.. the lady who gave it to me said her dauhter bought it then went away for college.. she couldnt take care of it and eventually put it in her basement.. seals and silicone are in exellent condition, but like i said has very stubborn stains.. any ideas?? tried windex and a washroom tile and stuff cleaner with no luck.. also after having used those products how do i make it life safe again. thanks

Vineger should take the hard water stains off. Rinse very well to remove all traces of those other products.

how would i go about applying the vineger>? should i just use a sponge>

hopefully they will come off easier with the vinegar, i used both side of the sponge with no luck with the cleaning products... my neighbor told me i could use salt on a wet towel to try to buff them out.. how safe is that? nevertried that before..

Wont hurt any future inhabitants since salt will rinse completely out. Maybe mix the vinegar and salt.

i was wondering if it was safe for the glass.. dont want to make any future "trenches" for algae to get in..

thanks for your input i'll try these suggestions when i get home from work today and let you know what happens..

ok guys i've tried everything i you guys suggested and also some heavy duty? household cleaning supplies.. still no LUCK!!! man im started to get angry about these stains.. i even tried scraping them off with razor blades.. no luck.. any suggestions? i really wanted to have this tank up and running asap.. i think im getting to the point of throwing a hammer threw them.. that will help get rid of them rigt?? :twisted:

I'm hoping to hear what works on those stains myself. I have similar ones on the back of my 20 gallon. Tried everything but a large rock to get them off so far.

sorry to say i didnt work.. tried that by itself and also with salt as suggested above, no luck.. i even though im not supposed to i also used several combinations of chemicals, no luck/./ my dad has some sulfuric acid.. wonder if that would work.. i know it wont harm the glass because its in a glass bottle..i think he might also have some stuff to neutralize acid so maybe i can wipe down the tank with that when im done?? :cry:

check what kind of acid, but we use baking soda to nutralize most acids after they've done their job. Vinegar soaked on most tank stains usually works.

its sulfuric acid.. i tried the viniger using a mist bottle, i let it soak for a few mins and sprayed again, then i tried a sponge with fiber in the back with no luck, insead of scrubbing i even tried to scrape it off with brand new razor blades... no luck.. i think at this point my 5lb hammer will get the job :mrgreen:

That's the one we used.. thanks.. Sulfuric.. but it was not for the inside of the tank. I am not sure you can use acids on the inside of a tank because they might not rinse completely clean. Just be careful and don't get any on you.. You can replace the fish.. but not yourself.

just thought of something... has anyone used CLR to clean their tanks??? its supposed to be really good at remove Calcium, Lime, Rust Stains..

Back
Top Bottom