Stunted growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imtcurveball

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. About 6 months ago I took a convict cichlid off a guys hands. He had it in a ten gallon. I moved it to a tank with a firemouth when they were the same size. Now the firemouth is about 5 inches and the convict is only 3.5-4 inches

Hey everyone. About 6 months ago I took a convict cichlid off a guys hands. He had it in a ten gallon. I moved it to a tank with a firemouth when they were the same size. Now the firemouth is about 5 inches and the convict is only 3.5-4 inches

It is most likely just growing at a different pace. However depending on ya size when you got him and how long he was in the ten gallon he could be stunted. How long was he in the ten gallon? And how large was he when you got him?

In the last six months he grew from 3" to 3.5-4". Idk how old he was

There are all sorts of factors when it comes to fish growth, the top three are as follows:

Genetics.
Water Change Schedule.
Diet.

Just like people some will reach maximum height(hopefully not maximum weight) and some will not, if the fish is continuing to show growth then I wouldn't worry at all.

Back
Top Bottom