stunted growth fish pregnant.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a mosquito fish. (Exactly like a guppy) and I think its growth is stunted. I also believe she's pregnant. Can she still have the babies?? And will they be like little mini-babies?

Why was her growth stunted? I have had very tiny guppies give birth to fry that turned into full sized guppies, but they weren't stunted, just young. Still, if your girl is healthy now, she should be able to deliver her fry which should be ok. But if she is unhealthy, she will probably not deliver or she may soon after from the stress.

I have had some slow growing guppies. IME, they do not get big as fast if they get pregnant when they are young. Probably because their bodies need to spend nutrients on the growing fry rather than on growing the mom's body. They still grow to full size though,

Guppies are supposed to be full grown at about 6 or 7 months old. I have had them reproduce as young as 2 months old. The ones that reproduce early like that, IME, do not reach full size until more like 8 months.

Ohh okay. Thanks. If she's pregnant it can be like 2 weeks before she gives birth right? I know they can store sperm

She will look SUPER plump before giving birth. The plumpness is especially apparent in the small ones. Mine look slightly obese before having their babies. And yes, they can even store sperm for several months. Mine also like to hang out on the bottom of the tank when they are ready to give birth.

Ahh. Well she gets as much food as the other ones but she's a lot fatter. The others are all males.

Make sure she doesn't get too harassed by the males. If She gets too stressed out, she may not survive having the fry.

Just remember that she needs to move around in order to have the fry. Only put her in a breeding net when you are SURE she is having fry. If you put her in there and she doesn't have them within a day or so, take her back out so she can exercise.

Back
Top Bottom