Stupid beginer mistake!Fish being Killed!Dont Know What to do!PLEASE HELP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I have recently started up a new 36 bowfront. In the past, I have used safe start and it has worked for all of my tanks. Got my 36 going for a day for filter etc. added hrs and 2 died within 24 hours, so I returned them all. I got to Angels and one immediately died:( the other one is barely alive and won't eat. I am using test strips to test my water and hey all come out good? Yes I know that test strips aren't the most accurate. I assume my tanks ammonia levels are to high? I am tying to add more beneficial bacteria. I have added more safe start, driftwood and plants from my other tank. I am even adding scoops of my other tanks gravel. I don't know what to do and and don't want anymore dead fish!! Please help!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's very hard to tell what's going on. I would invest in a liquid test kit ASAP. One that tests everything like a mini master! Once you have a better idea on the parameters of your water, there would be more helpful answers. Safe smart is an iffy topic. I don't know enough about it to really say much :( I'm sorry your having so much trouble! I would stop adding fish for now. Figure out your water, do necessary water changes and cycle your tank properly.

Angels are delicate fish to start your tank with. I'd do some water changes and get the test kit as was suggested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even if adding bacteria booster you should slowly add fish. Your safe start is only making enough safe bacteria for what is already in the tank (which is nothing). I used some safe start to boost my 5 gallon recently and it still took weeks to fully cycle.
I think safe start is just a cycle booster not really an insta start.
Maybe get some seachem prime with it and do some heavy watching and water changes?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately, the soonest I could possibly get a new test kit would be next weekend. What should I do

Even if adding bacteria booster you should slowly add fish. Your safe start is only making enough safe bacteria for what is already in the tank (which is nothing). I used some safe start to boost my 5 gallon recently and it still took weeks to fully cycle.
I think safe start is just a cycle booster not really an insta start.
Maybe get some seachem prime with it and do some heavy watching and water changes?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The only creatures I. The tank right now are the baby angel and a snail.

when in doubt always do a water change. I'm assuming your using water conditioner?
I only ask because not everyone knows that you need it. A guy at Petco asked me why his fish were dieing and never even knew what water conditioner was.

If you can't get a new test kit take a water sample to your local fish store or petco etc..they should be able to test it for you. That safe start stuff and all the bacteria in a bottle are all junk and don't work in my opinion. The refrigerated ones might be a little better but it's easier to just use some seeded media from another tank, it's also cheaper

If you have access to another fish tank that has been running for a while take one of the sponges and squeeze it out into the new tank. A fish store can also sell you some seeded media or an established sponge filter

Unfortunately, the soonest I could possibly get a new test kit would be next weekend. What should I do

That could be a good thing considering you should wait at least a few days before adding fish. Ive tried to immediately add fish before and got mixed results. Just like someone just said, it takes time for the bacteria to collonize especially when there is a sudden bioload. I started a tank and in the same day added 5 celestial pearl danios and all 5 healthy fish had developed fin rot the next day and died in a couple days. Ive also started a slightly larger tank and successfully added fish within 3 days. I jump started it with a used filter, water from my other tank and plants from my other tank. I did a test the next day and the nitrites were fairly high so i did a 25% water change then added prime to also lower the nitrites and added seachem stability bacteria. I continued to add bacteria every day and did a water change every other day. All those things had it cycled and stable in a week without any deaths. That was a 5 gallon with 4 kuhli loaches.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have been using Aqua safe plus water conditioner. Should I do a water change and instead of adding fresh water, add water from my ten gallon?

And also, petco uses the exact Same strips that I use.

I can now actually thank petco for something. I now can buy water test kit.mthank you petco.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421684992.393253.jpg

ummmm...you could try to return any survivors and just leave the tank alone until you figure out what is going on. While you sit there trying to figure it out your fish is probably suffering. I have a feeling you did not cycle it very well...try not to rely on products that claim to cycle your tank...they usually don't do as good of a job as if you just cycled it naturally.

I have a ten gallon. Should I take out my betta stick it in a one gallon bowl and stick the angel with my two platy, or is that just even more problems?

ummmm...you could try to return any survivors and just leave the tank alone until you figure out what is going on. While you sit there trying to figure it out your fish is probably suffering. I have a feeling you did not cycle it very well...try not to rely on products that claim to cycle your tank...they usually don't do as good of a job as if you just cycled it naturally.

I agree with this. Angel needs to get to a comfortable environment so the damage that's been done can start to heal as soon as possible.

I have a ten gallon. Should I take out my betta stick it in a one gallon bowl and stick the angel with my two platy, or is that just even more problems?

Well the ten gallon is not anywhere near the space that an angel needs. However it will be ok if it's a temporary arrangement. Filtration is crucial though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

your test strips are prob fine for now, it's your water quality that is effecting your fish, your tank is not cycled. Spend that money at Petco and buy yourself a bottle of Prime, it removes chlorine and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Whenever your in doubt test your water and do a water change.

Do a large water change using the Prime.

That bacteria in a bottle is crap and doesn't work, it has no food source to stay alive. Get seeding material like I said earlier. It will significantly reduce the time it takes to cycle the tank, if you add enough you can sometimes cycle it instantly. All you need is a used sponge from a filter or some used gravel from an established tank. Make sure the tank you get it from is clean

Test strips are not reliable at all. You need and API master kit asap. Until you get one I'd be doing daily 50% wc minimum.

Ok. I added the rest of he bottle of quick start, just In case their is some good bacteria in it. I took all live plants and driftwood from my ten gallon and added it to my 36. I also added water and gravel from my cycled ten gallon during a water change. I got the bio foam from ten gallon tanks filter, and squeezed it into my bowfront. Lastly, I took all filter media from my ten and added it to my angel tank. Anything else that I could possibly do to speed up my tanks cycling?

Ok, so just to be clear, you added an angel and it died instantly? To a brand new tank?
I am not sure what you were saying about your other fish your tried to add. I don't think your issue is necessarily ammonia though. There hasn't been enough time. It could be, but I wouldn't cling to that as your only option.
This is in your 36g I assume? What fish did you get and what has died? How soon after adding them did they die?
How did you acclimate the new fish? Did they look good at the store? Was the trip home with them form the store ok?

Back
Top Bottom