Stupid catfish... You cant eat that many goldfish... Can you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they are tasty little crustys arent they.

Sure, my pops used to raise em when he was a youngin, but that was like 40 years ago so his memory on them has been absent for over 20 years.

they are tasty little crustys arent they.

Sure, my pops used to raise em when he was a youngin, but that was like 40 years ago so his memory on them has been absent for over 20 years.

can you help me with my new 55g? its posted.

Im too aggressive, id get a 55g and put a single red devil in it, maybe another very aggressive cichlid but as far as aggressive, your advice you recieved is pretty decent, only cichlids Ive had that are aggressive were in a 90g and most of them topped out around 2-3 pounds. MOstly SA's and texas cichlids

its not like you need live feeders every day. never owned that fish but i am sure you could get them eating other foods. i toss in a couple livebearers out of a 20 gallon for my poly from time to time. by no means its staple food.

Its not a wild fish either, that cat started eating minnows when it was a fry

In Aquaria

Channel catfish are commonly available in the aquarium trade as 3 to 4 inch youngsters. They will readilly consume many other fish species and grow large in tanks, often resulting in either their illegal release or even being eaten by their owners after they reach a large size. They make good scavengers in large tanks with fish such as Plecostomus, Oscars, cichlids, silver dollars, large Goldfish, and other large varieties.

Channel catfish are omnivoreOmnivore

Omnivores are species that eating both plants and animals as their primary food source. They are opportunistic, general feeders not specifically adapted to eat and digest either meat or plant material exclusively....
s who can be caught on a variety of natural and prepared baits including cricketsCricket (insect)

Crickets, family Gryllidae , are insects somewhat related to grasshoppers and more closely related to Tettigoniidae . They have somewhat flattened bodies and long antenna ....
, nightcrawlerLumbricus terrestris

Lumbricus terrestris is a large reddish worm native to Europe, but now also widely distributed elsewhere around the world , due to human introductions....
s, minnowMinnow

Minnow may refer to:...
s, shadShad

The shads or river herrings comprise the genus Alosa, fish related to herring in the family Clupeidae. They are distinct from others in that family by having a deeper body and spawning in rivers....
, crawfish, frogFrog

Frogs are amphibians in the order Anura , formerly referred to as Salientia . The name frog derives from Old English language frogga, , cognate with Sanskrit plava , probably deriving from Proto-Indo-European language praw = "to jump"....
s, bullheadBullhead

Bullhead may mean:* Kinds of fish, including:** Certain sculpins, including:*** European bullhead, Cottus gobio*** Siberian bullhead, Cottus poecilopus...
s, sunfishCentrarchidae

The sunfishes are a family of freshwater ray-finned fish belonging to the order Perciformes. The type genus is Centrarchus . The family's 27 species includes many fishes familiar to North Americans, including the rock bass, largemouth bass, bluegill, and crappies....
, and suckerCatostomidae

Catostomidae is the sucker family of the order Cypriniformes. There are 80 species in this family of freshwater fish. Catostomidae are found in North America, east central China, and eastern Siberia....
s.

the above list is what they naturally eat from their natural habitat, you can feed it pellets but then it will be nothing more then a farm raised catfish as far as its energy levels go and its behavior.

Lets put it this way, if you are going to keep it as a pet, you need atleast a 150 gallon tank. Catfish need the room for arobic swimming and exercising, they are by no means a aquarium catfish as far as species go.

I guess I should give up on being a catfish hunter, 15 years of success seems to not mean much here when it comes to knowing about a certain game species.

I do hope the ones who are giving info have actually studied these fish and kept them as large aquaria pets. Everything that is being stated goes against everything that has been found thru decades of research on this particular species.

FYI nearly every catfish in a non flowing lake are farm raised stock fish, not wild, they do not exuberate the same characteristics of wild catfish.

my dad told me when he was like 15 he had a huge tank and had a big channel cat in it and he would feed like 20 small gold fish a week or it could of been 2 weeks cant remember

Its not a wild fish either, that cat started eating minnows when it was a fry

In Aquaria

Channel catfish are commonly available in the aquarium trade as 3 to 4 inch youngsters. They will readilly consume many other fish species and grow large in tanks, often resulting in either their illegal release or even being eaten by their owners after they reach a large size. They make good scavengers in large tanks with fish such as Plecostomus, Oscars, cichlids, silver dollars, large Goldfish, and other large varieties.

Channel catfish are omnivoreOmnivore

Omnivores are species that eating both plants and animals as their primary food source. They are opportunistic, general feeders not specifically adapted to eat and digest either meat or plant material exclusively....
s who can be caught on a variety of natural and prepared baits including cricketsCricket (insect)

Crickets, family Gryllidae , are insects somewhat related to grasshoppers and more closely related to Tettigoniidae . They have somewhat flattened bodies and long antenna ....
, nightcrawlerLumbricus terrestris

Lumbricus terrestris is a large reddish worm native to Europe, but now also widely distributed elsewhere around the world , due to human introductions....
s, minnowMinnow

Minnow may refer to:...
s, shadShad

The shads or river herrings comprise the genus Alosa, fish related to herring in the family Clupeidae. They are distinct from others in that family by having a deeper body and spawning in rivers....
, crawfish, frogFrog

Frogs are amphibians in the order Anura , formerly referred to as Salientia . The name frog derives from Old English language frogga, , cognate with Sanskrit plava , probably deriving from Proto-Indo-European language praw = "to jump"....
s, bullheadBullhead

Bullhead may mean:* Kinds of fish, including:** Certain sculpins, including:*** European bullhead, Cottus gobio*** Siberian bullhead, Cottus poecilopus...
s, sunfishCentrarchidae

The sunfishes are a family of freshwater ray-finned fish belonging to the order Perciformes. The type genus is Centrarchus . The family's 27 species includes many fishes familiar to North Americans, including the rock bass, largemouth bass, bluegill, and crappies....
, and suckerCatostomidae

Catostomidae is the sucker family of the order Cypriniformes. There are 80 species in this family of freshwater fish. Catostomidae are found in North America, east central China, and eastern Siberia....
s.

the above list is what they naturally eat from their natural habitat, you can feed it pellets but then it will be nothing more then a farm raised catfish as far as its energy levels go and its behavior.

Lets put it this way, if you are going to keep it as a pet, you need atleast a 150 gallon tank. Catfish need the room for arobic swimming and exercising, they are by no means a aquarium catfish as far as species go.

I guess I should give up on being a catfish hunter, 15 years of success seems to not mean much here when it comes to knowing about a certain game species.

I do hope the ones who are giving info have actually studied these fish and kept them as large aquaria pets. Everything that is being stated goes against everything that has been found thru decades of research on this particular species.

FYI nearly every catfish in a non flowing lake are farm raised stock fish, not wild, they do not exuberate the same characteristics of wild catfish.

nice lot of info there!

Back
Top Bottom