Stupid LFS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just this month I got a job at our local fish store, and now they're considering firing me because I keep discouraging people from buying fish that are not compatible with their tanks.

Eg. These people really liked the juvenile pacus we had and were considering buying them. Another employee had already bagged one for them, when I asked what size of tank they had. They said 10 gallon and I told them about how the pacu will grow up to two feet and would be much to big for their tank. So then the other employee complained to the manager that I'm discouraging people from buying fish :evil: .

They also get mad at me when I tell people not to get a full bioload before their tanks are cycled.

The way I see it is that if all their fish die, the customers would get discouraged and quit the hobby, but if I show them how to do it right, they would come back and buy more tanks/supplies. </rant>

Endgame319 said:
Just this month I got a job at our local fish store, and now they're considering firing me because I keep discouraging people from buying fish that are not compatible with their tanks.

That sucks, Endgame. The store is definitely missing the point!

I continue to go back to my two favorite LFS's because they ask questions when people are buying fish. They may not be perfect, but at least they make the effort to get people on the right track.

I'm sure the customers who succeed because of your advice won't be very happy to find you gone. :roll:

Feh. Thats a shame. Have you spoken to the owner about the situation? And if he isn't interested in hearing, this is not the place for you - you don't need to be associated with a place that has that little respect for living things.

" What? What?! You are here to send fish to their grave, so the people will come in and buy more! If you keep preventing them from killing the fish how are we going to sell more and make money?! YOUR FIRED!! "

lol william I do think that is how alot of these lfs feel, especially the chain ones. I was in one yesterday and heard a lady ask about the african cichlids. Guy told her sure you can put that fish in with anything, even our goldfish. I walked out with out buying anything.

A good fish store will help you make the right decisions for your size tank not sale you a fish just for the sake of selling it. I agree with you that these people will get discouraged and leave the hobby. You are right in what you are doing to help the customer.

Hey Endgame319, which lfs is it? I see that you're in Edmonton, and I hoping its not the one that I go to...

If you don't want to throw it up here, would you mind pm'ing and telling me???

TIA!

Endgame, that really sucks. I've thought about working at a LFS just to be around fish, learn how to care for varieties I might otherwise never be exposed to, and learn about what it takes to run a LFS, but I had never thought about this scenario. I can totally see this happening to me and I'd go nuts! I am pretty opinionated when I am sure of what I'm talking about. And I'm no salesman. I will always tell people the truth. Heck, when I worked at a animal hospital I would whisper to them cheaper places to buy food, have spays/neuters done with good docs and the same anesthesia, etc. I get PO'ed every time I see the red belly pacus at Petsmart. And now when I think about it, I bet that if I had a job there they would not allow me to tell people that they need at least a 200g aquarium. Alli, is right though, this is not the place for you if they want to shut out the truth. If you're knowledgeable and good with people and not pushy then you're doing the right thing. And what it comes down to is animal abuse, IMO. If people were taking home dozens of kittens or puppies only to have them die or end up dumping them then a lot more people would care. The same needs to hold true for fish.

Wow, that is ridiculous!! If you ever move to Calgary, there are two great LFS I would recommend working in.
The only advice I can offer is stick to your guns and if you do get fired, you know you were doing the right thing. Keep us updated!

Well if I was your boss I woud have beem pround of you for telling the truth to them.I used to work in the fish section at a petsmart and my boss encouraged me to tell them the truth.to show them you care about the hobby

dumb stores...

I have to say one of the greatest accomplishments of this site is education. Business is business for a lot of people. It really is sad. People selling stuff hardly ever ask any questions...So many products being sold that aren't really safe but who asks... "don't ask don't tell" seems to be the motto of the business world. "buyer beware" should be something that Everyone should consider at any moment for any purchase... Someone else mentioned if this much carelessness was taken with cats or dogs more people would care... not only would more people care but legal charges would be filed... people would get arrested and stores would be shut down...

Stand up for what you believe in... save some lives. If you get fired... start your own pet store. The town I live in needs a new pet store. We had a small one for a while but the lady that ran it wasn't very dependable about being there, lost customers, her life got crazy so she sold it... sad... now I have to drive around a half hour to get to the nearest pet store... And don't get me started on Walmart... ours has fish but even if you could trust them you could end up standing there looking at the tanks with no one to help you for a while... then, at least for our store, chances are the person that comes to help you have very limited knowledge if any... :cry: It's very depressing to think about how little some people care... Don't stop caring.......... :wink:

not likely because starting a new buisess takes a lot of money but you can start as a shack on the side of the road and keep growing until you grow into a store lol
then no one can fire the chain manager unless they like buy more stockand all that stuff and you can like all that stuff

Argh, what a moronic boss you have. I used to live out in Edmonton, then Calgary. I've been to that store, and thought it was alright. Thanks for shedding some light, and good for you for sticking to your guns.

Endgame319, Here's 25 kudos for doing what you know is right for both your customers and the fish that are in your care.
It's called integrity and it's in dire short supply in the world today.
Too bad your shortsighted supervisor and coworkers don't have any.
I hope they wise up and realize that matching the right fish with the right fishkeeper is good business in the long run.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Wow, I just can't get over some of the LFS out there. I find when I go into some of the LFS I tend to listen to their convesations with other customers, sometimes I find myself bitting my tounge and others I will just have to say something. The latter often getting a scowl from the employee :twisted: There are a few really good LFS here in Calgary that I love! The staff there are so knowledgeable and will ask you questions before bagging any fish. I find places like Petland way too overpriced on equipment and fish, I think they are just taking on way too much by selling all types of pets. My personal favorites are the places that specialize in fish, I find they have the best knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom