STUPID mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

worrywart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, we keep jugs of distilled water for our 10 gallon tank. I noticed that our filter was running but no water was going back into the tank. I quickly grabbed one of our jugs and started to pour it in, worried that the motor would burn out.

I noticed after pouring in about a half cup that it was the wrong jug. It was a jug that has mainly distilled water, with a little bit of 7-up in it that we have been using to water our Christmas tree.

I stopped, topped the tank off with distilled water, some stress coat and some stress zyme.

I am worried sick! I cannot believe what an absolute fool I am. I was worried about the motor and had a two year old climbing on me.

Do you think the fish will be ok?

1/2 cup of water and a little bit of 7 up? I doubt that it will have a whole lot of effect on the tank but if you're really worried you can always do a water change. What I would be more worried about is using the nutrient deficient distilled water for your tanks. Do you use that solely for your tank or just for top offs?

Also, is the filter running again?

I think they'll be fine.

I've never heard of using 7 up in the Christmas tree water. What does that do?

honestly, the farm we get our Christmas tree from have always said it helps with preserving the tree a bit longer.

I think this could be similar to a small sugar dose to the tank. It should be fine.
Sugar dosing is a way of dropping nitrates in a system. It makes the bb go into hyperdrive so to say and burns up the excess nitrates in the tank. Not recommended for long term use but can help a bit in an emergency.

At work we had to label ALL containers as to what was in them. It was a strict OSHA regulation. I carried that habit to my aquarium and home stuff. Boy! It has saved my tail a few times. It's kind of a hassle but can really be worth it. OS.

thank you everyone for the advice. Your words and a glass of wine have made me feel much better : ) Happy Holidays to all!

note: the glass of wine went into my belly, not into my tank, hahaha

thank you everyone for the advice. Your words and a glass of wine have made me feel much better : ) Happy Holidays to all!

note: the glass of wine went into my belly, not into my tank, hahaha

Lol glad the liquids went in the proper places this time..
Happy holidays!!!

Back
Top Bottom