Stupid question for you.. what is a blanched pea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Seen it mentioned several times, all I know of are frozen peas, canned peas and fresh peas in the summer. Google search just turned up a bunch of recipes but no explanation of what a blanched pea was.

semi-cooked, basically

kinda like boiling your bratwurst a bit before throwing them on the grill...
or cooking potatoes in low temperature grease for a couple of minutes then refrigerating them; when you fry them after cooling they become french fries rather than fried potatoes...

I'm sure in the case of a pea, it is steamed or boiled though.

fresh or frozen peas (thawed), thrown in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then run under cold water to stop the cooking right there. That's what I do anyway.

yep, just a lightly cooked pea...but most fish won't touch it unless you peel it or cut it in half. It's like they don't see it's food until they see/smell the fleshy part inside. at least mine don't

Question asked. Question answered. I love this board. Thanks.

I prefer to eat most of my vegetables blanched - lightly steamed - al dente and slightly crispy, not soft and mushy.
I must be a fish! 8O :D

QTOFFER said:
I prefer to eat most of my vegetables blanched - lightly steamed - al dente and slightly crispy, not soft and mushy.
I must be a fish! 8O :D

Amen, mush stinks! And I'm a Pisces fish :p

I "blanch" peas for my fish by putting 3-4 frozen ones in a tablespoon of water & zapping in microwave for 5-10 seconds. Then peel & serve.

As do I jsoong...quicker n easier to nuke em then. I have no patience, and a watched pot never boils (least not fast enough for me LOL).

Back
Top Bottom