Stupid question maybe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know if you can use plexiglass in a fish tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How are you intending to use it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want to use it as a small wall to build up my sides of the tank

The issue with plexiglass in a glass aquarium is the glue. Silicon sealant adheres to glass very well, but will eventually fail on plexiglass. Plexiglass glue works very well on the plexiglass, but not very well at all on glass.
Getting glass cut and then using silicon would be more reliable in a glass aquarium.

The issue with plexiglass in a glass aquarium is the glue. Silicon sealant adheres to glass very well, but will eventually fail on plexiglass. Plexiglass glue works very well on the plexiglass, but not very well at all on glass.
Getting glass cut and then using silicon would be more reliable in a glass aquarium.

Not really if you try roughing the plexi glass and the glass you are sealing it to, if silicone fails I'd go with epoxy, if the tank is dry and empty, and you have some time go with epoxy resin, it will give you nice transparent strong seal, if not try epoxy putty they work under water as well

Back
Top Bottom