Stupid Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, my 30 gal finished cycling about 2 weeks ago, and last Sunday(1 week ago) we added 6 Glass Cats and my brothers Betta. The first day, everyone seemed fine. Then, Tuesday morning, my Mom and Brother discovered 2 Glass Cats dead on the bottom and 1 MIA, no external signs of nipping, disease. The next day, we found 1 more Glass Cat on the bottom, and the body of the MIA one. Again, no external signs as to the cause of death. Later that day, the betta started resting on the Sword's leaves. I figured this was normal, as I'd read about in other threads here. Next morning, we were down to 1 Glass Cat and a betta. Later that day, we found the betta lying on the bottom, still alive. We took him out and put him in a container with water from the 20, and he seemed to improve. We then took a water sample to the LFS, and everything tested out fine. When we were there, we also grabbed 4 Zebra Danios to see if we couldnt kill them off too.. :roll: When we got home, the betta was dead. So the tank now contains 1 Glass Cat(we'll get him some friends soon) and 4 Zebra Danios. Stupid tank... any idea on what could have caused this?

don't beat urself up...
glass cats are notorious for being touchy...it's probably a good idea to add them to a tank running for a considerable period of time...
all i can think of is stress due to adding too many fish at a time...even in a cycled tank the sudden bioload of 7 fishes at a time may be a bit too much...
so don't worry...the danios would be fine....and u would do the right thing by getting rid of the cat...

cheer up...could happen to anyone... :)

When I first got a glass cat I didn't realize it was a schooling fish (or that they were on the touchy side). But he survived and seems quite happy on his own in a tank full of tetra. I never got him any friends as after I read a bit about them I figured he wouldn't survive. So you don't have to panic about getting friends for him I don't think. Just let the tank settle and maybe add a fish or two at a time in the future maybe...

Thanks for the consoling words guys. I had originally chalked the first 2 deaths up to stress from multiple moves: wholesaler-->LFS-->My Tank. After that, I started worrying that there was a disease in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom