Sturgeon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
one of my LFS has a 4 inch sturgeon!

#1 aren't they cold water? they had them in a tank with Angels and Guppies :?

#2 i am thinking it will get huge!!!

Depending on where you live they might be illegal... Here in Saskatchewan they are illegal to keep and if you catch one when fishing you must release it immediatley. A guy caught one in the weir in town here and took it home and put it in a kiddy pool and said "I'm just taking pictures then I'll release it..." Long story short he was fined something like $5,000...
And yah they do get huge like 100-300 pounds...And they must be coldwater to live in our river it freezes partially in the winter...But anyways that pretty weird the LFS having a sturgeon...

I wouldn't buy one. Some species are endangered and besides, they are some of the biggest freshwater fish in the world. The longest FW fish is Arapaima Gigas and the heaviest are the Mekong catfish, but there have been reports of sturgeon reaching 20 ft. I bet someone with a ten gallon tank or smaller is going to buy that sturgeon :mrgreen: .

Save it for the public aquarium lol.

Ya one of my LFS has a white sturgeon, at about 6 inches... DrFosters&Smith LiveAquaria.com sells sturgeons too.

Back
Top Bottom