styrofoam from home depot ok to put under rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manoosie

Aquarium Advice Regular
styrofoam from home depot ok to put under rocks?

I know styrofoam is good to go under rocks, especially with cichlids because they tend to dig. Can I just stick it in the tank, or should I do something to it first?

What is the purpose of the styrofoam? If you're trying to keep large rocks from sliding, try some plastic canvas from a craft store.

I'd worry about styrofoam breaking down over time, besides the fact that it will be trying hard to float.

So am i actually thinking of egg crate, and no one uses styrofoam? If true, back to the store I go...

The foam can be useful for other things. I keep my home cold, so there is insulating foam on the bottom and back (outside) of my aquarium for insulation. Foam under the aquarium can also help protect your tank if you have an imperfect stand.

I know one guy who puts styro under his rocks. He lost 2 tanks to rocks point loading a grain of gravel and causing the bottom to break.

Yup, I know of at least one that used styrofoam to support the 150lb rock he put in, if that ever shifted so much as 1mm on bare glass the tank could be done (he put some under the tank, and some under the rock in the tank)

Back
Top Bottom