Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce410

Aquarium Advice Freak
So can someone tell me the pros and cons of sand vs gravel vs pebbles. For freshwater. I'm not sure what to get for my next tank.

Also I want to be knowledgeable - what is better HOB filter or UG filter? Thanks! (for a 29 gallon tank)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

I would not recommend an UGF. A few folks have used them with great success however...

As far as the substrate, it really depends... what are your goals? Are you planning to grow live plants? If not, then all that really matters if what you like looking at the best.

Even with live plants, any of them will work, but there are advantages to finer substrates and specialized plant substrates, especially when it comes to growing delicate and fine leafed plants, and growing larger, heavy root feeding plants.

Thanks for the help! I'll just stick with HOB filter.

I just mainly have some banana plants. they should be fine in sand right? also, when I vacuum, how do I keep the sand from getting sucked up with the waste?

If you go with pool filter sand, it wont get sucked up in the gravel vac. It's large and heavy enough to avoid that, but fine enough to keep the waste on top. Its really the best all around substrate IMHO, and it's super cheap to boot. I wont have gravel anymore because it always stayed dirty when I did have it.

mfdrookie516 said:
If you go with pool filter sand, it wont get sucked up in the gravel vac. It's large and heavy enough to avoid that, but fine enough to keep the waste on top. Its really the best all around substrate IMHO, and it's super cheap to boot. I wont have gravel anymore because it always stayed dirty when I did have it.

Nice! Thanks. Yeah makes sense.

So would my otoclinus sucker fish be alright with sand? Sorry boob question. No damage?

I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef (not a true marine sand so it won't bother your pH). It is heavy enough to sink and not easily end up in your filter. I have had great luck with plants using it as the only substrate. It runs about the same cost as gravel and comes in multiple colors.

Sand is cleaner and doesn't trap debris the way gravel will so it is less maintenance. It is also much more natural.

I also would never use UGFs. They are old school and there are simply much more effective and easier to maintain filters out there these days.

Fishguy2727 said:
I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef (not a true marine sand so it won't bother your pH). It is heavy enough to sink and not easily end up in your filter. I have had great luck with plants using it as the only substrate. It runs about the same cost as gravel and comes in multiple colors.

Sand is cleaner and doesn't trap debris the way gravel will so it is less maintenance. It is also much more natural.

I also would never use UGFs. They are old school and there are simply much more effective and easier to maintain filters out there these days.

Awesome thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom